Friday, December 26, 2008

More drama in Foxy land

Foxy had been doing better these last few days, back to normal, good appetite, drinking again, etc.

Now she is acting mildly colicky again this evening. Just caught her laying down and she did not finish her dinner. I'm just not sure what to do with her at this point. She has colicked quite a few times in the time I've had her....and multiple times since moving here. She is apparently a chronic colicker as this seems to happen every so often over the last few years. She colicked in California, she colicked here at the boarding place, she colicked here at my place.

I just don't know what to do with her at this point. She is the biggest money pit I have ever seen. If it is not one thing it is another. Still have not found any local decent boarding place. And even if I do, will have to redo all her shots and coggins (last time cost a couple hundred bucks) to get her there as the boarding place had it done last time and I never got any paperwork and I do not know which vet did it... I have emailed to find out but we will see if they even read this email or just delete as well.

Life with Foxy has become so incredibly frustrating. It's like no matter what I do, something goes wrong. I joke that Foxy needs to seriously just meet me halfway (somebody got irritated last time I said that) but honestly......that is the truth. Meet me halfway horse.....I can only do this for so long.....


I know Fuglyhorseoftheday has posted before about how she has no problem with people euthanizing a horse that has issues. And while I could never really agree with euthanizing an otherwise healthy horse with no issues......I am thinking Foxy is getting enough issues these days to justify it even in my mind. I have mentioned it before but now that the colicking has resurfaced, it is even more justified. It just seems like such a shame to have come all this way with Foxy, years of work, years of special treatment, years of getting her to be friendly and sweet......and all for nothing? But then again, if every time we take a step forward she either colicks or has a mental lapse, or goes lame again?

So frustrating! If I was a millionaire, this wouldn't be an issue.....where is the winning lottery ticket, damn it.


Forgot to mention...the other day I think I said something about hurting my shoulder? Looks like I might have a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder. Doing horse related chores caused it, of course. Which makes doing horse related chores now, quite difficult. And considering I live alone? Yep, just fabulous.

8 comments:

Gnomie said...

I've been following this for a while and I don't think anything you have said or done has been out of line. I'm not 100% sure that euthanasia is the way to go, but I agree that somethings got to give.

Especially, if you did mess up your shoulder. I have many shoulder problems (tendonitis, pulled muscles, strained muscles, etc.) and they really don't heal well or quickly. Something like general horse care would only prolong the healing process, increase damage, and/or increase the pain.

Whatever you decide, make sure it's something you can live with.

MsFoxy said...

I'm not 100% sure either, which is why she is still kicking.....

Of course most of the time she gets me to the brink of frustration....then the next time I go out, she is standing around and nickers loudly at me. I think she has split personalities.

I still would really like to find somewhere to board her locally, reasonably. That would free up some of my time, keep her from absolutely ruining my property, and make her happier. No luck yet, but I'm still looking........

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
xmuskateerx said...

If you really don't want to euthanize her, is there any way your property and finances could hold up to getting her a friend? That could be the thing to calm her down, you mentioned that she loves the horses across the road?

But, hey, you can only do so much. Better to euthanize her than send her to the sale (aka the slaughterhouse) :)

good luck xx

lytha said...

i love the foxy blog and i'd hate to see it end, but i know you will do the responsible thing.

you're already being responsible just by realizing selling her is not an option.

i'm bringing my horse home in march for the first time, and i'm reading the foxy blog with great trepidation about what could happen. i think one thing in my favor is that my horse is very old and low-maintenance. oh, i hope it goes well.

if he starts spending all his time by the fenceline close to the neighbors' horses, i'll take that as a hint to rent him an equally old and decrepit pony. i know you're not in a position to get her a buddy, and she knows you'll be visiting her twice a day, sometimes with a pie in hand. she's a lucky horse and i hope she recognizes it.

i feel for you, and i know you'll do the right thing.

~lytha in germany
http://horsecrazyamerican.blogspot.com/

fuglyhorseoftheday said...

I know what you've been through with this horse from the beginning. I hate to say it, but honestly, she IS the lame, crazy mare that all of the horses dumped for slaughter are alleged to be. She is a sweet, sweet horse on the ground but I wouldn't get on her and she has cost you far, far more than a typical horse at this point.

You've had her as long as I had Sunline. This summer, when Sunline was losing the last of her sight and started getting panicky and barging over the top of even me, I said to myself: Cathy, you gave this mare two darn good years. She didn't go to slaughter. She has eaten well. She has lived like a queen. Based upon the history of scars written on her body, she has probably never lived this well or experienced this much kindness. You have done your part in this mare's life. You are not obligated to do it for ten more years, especially when it endangers your safety and your ability to care for the rest.

So I put her to sleep, with her buddy who was similarly physically totaled. Once they are tranquilized, they do not know anything further. It's not a bad decision and I'd totally understand it in your case as well. I just look at your cute little property and think how much more you would enjoy some middle aged mare or gelding who is being thrown out like the trash in this economy...a horse who has been there, done that, and doesn't get rattled by a thing. A horse that you could hop on once a month and go for a ride that wouldn't do a single thing wrong. I can find you a horse like that any day of the week - a horse that desperately needs a home.

It's a lot to think about but like I say, you've given this mare far more than a fair chance. There are reasons she was dumped and you've found them all.

Anonymous said...

I wrote my comment to you when I was dead tired, so after re-reading it I thought I would try again. Hopefully I will be a bit more articulate!

I remember you when you first got Foxy back in the CBER days. I remember how much you did for her and how hard it was caring for you.

I recently just found your blog again (the link on the Fugly blog) and see that it is still very difficult. I am blown away by how much you have done for this horse, You have given her so much.

It must be a very difficult decision for you to even think about putting her down. I can see how attached you are to her. It is also a very brave and humane thing to do for this horse. You can't think of her as perfectly healthy because she clearly is not.

i wish you luck as this can only be your decision to make but I offer my support in it. I don't think death is a bad thing, as we all will end there someday. I believe an animal does not think about it in the way we do. Humane euthanasia is very peaceful. She will have no more pain in her life.

Unknown said...

I also just wanted to say that although I really enjoy the blog, euthanasia is sometimes the best choice.
In April I put my perfectly healthy seven year old dog down. He was having serious aggression issues and despite thousands in training sessions, animal communicators etc. he was just too big of a liability. Although it was the hardest decision I've ever made- (I loved him more than any other animal I've ever owned) - I don't regret it at all. I miss him and mourn for him, but still I know I made the right choice. And it opened up my home for 2 new rescues.
Just wanted to share...and let you know you have support no matter what you chose.