So I was going to get on here and post that Foxy must have read my blog because I got home and she was just standing at the back porch waiting for dinner. No more chewing on the railing and when I fed her and then was in the shed getting another bale of hay, she came over and then went past into the back part and stayed back there grazing all by herself for a good hour. And then came back up front and stood at the railing for some neck and shoulder scratches.
Except then I went out tonight and she is now afraid to leave the porch railing area......I threw some hay off the front porch instead, which is where she used to always hang out. And she stood there for a few seconds and then went zipping back to the back porch railing area in fear. Oy vey Foxy, you drive me crazy.
Thanks for all the feedback on the last post. Obviously this is not a decision I would take lightly, and I would probably board her for 6 months before I decided to do anything like that. She is such a nice horse when she is not being a total nutjob :/ She is an incredibly easy boarder, gets along with everybody, easy on fences, great ground manners. She is just crazy here, ha ha ha. GO FIGURE.
But, as the subject line says, when it rains it pours. I have been having tons of problems with one of my dogs as well, to where I am at my wit's end.....he is just out of control and making my life and my other dogs and cat's life...MISERABLE. He is a monster. Or actually, he is nice but absolutely a bad fit for my family. He needs someone to take him jogging 5 miles every day. And I posted about him last night and he was much better behaved today too, ha ha ha. But yes, he did eventually go back to his evil ways as well.
And then my old dog's big leg tumor (one of many but the big big one) is getting big enough I might need to think about having it removed. We've aspirated it twice and came back with nada but it is getting bigger and bigger and is getting to be big enough to bother him soon. I keep hoping it will stall out and not grow as it is still a workable size now. We'll see. He has SO MANY tumors so I hate to go through with any surgery as it is like picking a piece of hay off a hay bale.
And then finally, the straw that broke the camel's back (or actually, maybe that is Foxy).....I have this awesome cat who has seizures. This has been an ongoing issue since he was about a year and a half old. It has been controlled decently with phenobarbital up until recently. He started out with a pill a day, then a pill and a half and now finally bumped up to two pills. That is the highest dose he can get and moving from a pill and a half to two pills did not seem to slow the seizures down much. He had another one a few days ago (and another really bad one 12 days before that) and so I chatted with the vet again today and unfortunately there don't seem to be any good options. We can add a really expensive drug (like $100/month expensive), or add a less expensive drug which must be given every 8 hours (not possible, I am gone 11-12 hours at work).....or...not?
They are recommending I take him to see a neurologist (cha-ching!), which will start at about $100 to just walk in the door, oh yay. I am not planning on paying for any additional tests (MRI's or any of that bullshit)......but would like to pick their brains on drug treatments. My own vet did not want to add Potassium Bromide because of interactions (not the word, but close)....but a lot of articles I read seem to think that is the best option when phenobarb does not cut it on its own.
And really.....what are the other options. $100/month in additional medicine.....continual seizures.....or taking a chance on an old standby? I don't know, that is what the neuro consult would be useful for. Plus, I can give them more details on his seizure activity and maybe that would help. My vet totally admits that seizures in cats are relatively uncommmon and there just isn't a lot of info out there and/or a lot of drugs known to help. The phenobarb controlled the seizures for about 5 years, so all in all, it had a good run.....his sister died at about a year old from an unknown illness but had been "acting funny" for a few months. We wonder if it is some sort of genetic defect. However, momma kitty is fine and the other sister is fine as well (they were a mom/litter I rescued from a shelter at 4 weeks and sick).
So that is everything on my plate right now. Maybe the Foxy issue by itself would nto be bad, but I am trying to divide my time and money and energy between all of my animals who just have to ALL have a major problem right now. Iy yi yi.
I have definitely learned my lesson with the animal thing. No more ever! ha ha, or not exactly but I will definitely not be replacing any when they go. I think I would enjoy a single dog. Yep.
The most frustrating thing with Foxy is that it goes back and forth......she is GREAT for days at a time and then totally psychotic the next day. I personally believe Foxy was in a broodmare herd somewhere the first chunk of her life. Exposed to almost nothing and just hanging out with the ladies all day. Which is why she was not great about being handled, was very thin (bottom of herd), had obviously had babies, and looooooves hanging out with other mares. If someone had a herd of broodies she would absolutely love to just hang out with them (not pregnant! ever agian!).
Why are there so few decent boarding options out here? This is ridic! I can move her a few hours away but seriously....this is a rural area, why is there nowhere with decent pasture boarding? No barbed wire, no studs. Is that really all that much to ask?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment