Sunday, December 7, 2008

Landscaping 101

Today I spent a couple hours in the yard working. In 35 degree weather. Wearing a pair of pink fleece pajama pants and a gray sweatshirt. And knee high rubber boots. And movie star sunglasses. My neighbors must think I am the craziest person ever.

So I fenced the front portion of the lot off. About 15 feet back from the front fence. She can no longer run along the front of the house, stand at the back porch or lay in her favorite spot of shavings. Or, most importantly, stand in the nasty manure muck along the front. She has done nothing but stand in this nastiness for days. I can only imagine how gross her feet are going to be.

I ended up putting in a step in post midway between the front porch and the side fence and strung up a single strand of tape along there. And I hooked it to the fencing so it is as hot as the rest of the fence. It was actually a little difficult to get it up because she did not want to be fenced out and was trying to test the fence while I was still putting it up. I had to scare her off long enough to have time to put it up, turn the fence off to hook it to the live strand and then turn it back on. Hopefully she'll respect it. Unfortunately it is only 3 feet high, but she is wary enough of the electric tape that I hope she will not test it. But if she does....well.....she'll still be behind the perimeter fence.

I keep hoping the Mare Magic will at least take the edge off so she is not so crazed about everything. And maybe now that she does not have the option of standing in "her corner" that she will not just stand there all day. So far she has spent time out back grazing which is a good sign. I cleaned and closed off the dog pen so that she can no longer go in there. Now it is once again a dog pen for crazy Frankie. She doesn't really ever go in there so might as well use it for the dog. And I can still lock her up in the area behind it, by restringing up the two strands of tape temporarily removed.

We'll see how this works. It has been really friggin cold lately. I think it was in the teens the other night. Tonight should be low 20's I believe. Brrrr!

When I was done with all this, I picked her feet out. They actually looked good. Hmmmmm.....we'll see what the farrier thinks next time she gets done.

I made Foxy some apple dump cake...er...cupcakes? The other night. I warmed one up for her this morning and wow does that apple pie gunk get hot....poor thing got her nose burned a bit. She did the crazy lip in the air thing like aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah my nose......it was hilariously sad. Sorry Ms Foxy! My piece had to warm for a minute to get nice and hot, so I put hers for 30 seconds to just make it warm. Apparently hers was a little bit nuculear (ha!) on the inside. Whoops! Other than the scorching hotness, she looooooves it. When I give her one of these, she'll lick her lips for 10 minutes afterwards. Delicious!

Crazy horse....

No comments: