Well Ms Foxy Pants is standing around in the nasty mucky mud again. She wanted to go over there? Go for it. I have found three places within 20 miles that do pasture boarding that are probably around $150/month. I have contacted two and both have openings and am waiting on the third to get back to me. I am just waiting on the first two to get back to me on when I can come check them out.
As much as it may be the best decision, looking from the outside.....I just can't bring myself to euthanize her just yet. And it's not like it can be undone, so I will wait for now, find somewhere to pasture board her.....and then be one of those absentee horse moms who only shows up once a week or something like that to toss some carrots and do some grooming, and every 6 weeks to hold for the farrier. From the sounds of the two places, one has nice facilities but maybe less nice pastures......one has less nice facilities but possibly nicer pastures. I think either one will work for me, and a lot will depend on the people, the location and the feel I get from the place.
Either way I am hoping to move her next weekend if I can get everything together. Then I won't have to buy any more hay but won't waste the stuff left and my parents will still be here to help me if needed.
Now I am still going to maintain that I won't be spending any large amounts of money on Foxy, so let's hope she stays healthy. If she does not calm down and act normally, then I'll have to revisit the euthanasia issue. However, I doubt that will happen as in a normal boarding environment with a herd of buddies, she should be okay. She will be psychotic the first day or two, I'm sure, but she should calm down in a big pasture with friends.
Now, to backtrack a bit, I got Foxy years ago from a "rescue" in Washington. And as they have a good relationship with the "feedlot" owner, I personally think they often know more about the horses they are "selling" than they pass on to the new owners. At least the basics as to whether they were a broodmare, came from auction, training flunkee, etc. I sure hope they did not know they were giving me (an absolute beginner who had never had a horse before or any experience with anything other than dead broke lesson horses) a dangerously whacky horse.
Also, I do appreciate all of the comments left on my posts. Obviously I am trying to work through this and figure out the best thing for all of us and always appreciate support along the way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
A little late to the ball here but they sure gave a LOT of beginners dangerous, wacky horses! Like horses that would attack them! I guess you can consider her a bargain in that case! Ha!
Post a Comment