The Mare Magic arrived just a little while ago....I just gave her a double dose and will continue to do so. Let's home this improves the situation. Tomorrow I will be fencing her out of the front part of the yard. The rest of the yard is fine and normal. The front section is ankle deep mud and manure. Disgusting. I went out to try to clean it up a little today....but after all the rain and freezing and ridiculous behavior from Foxy out there, it is a disaster. And now it is halfway frozen (not enough to keep it from being gross, just enough to make it impossible to easily scrape or pick up).
We are planning on renting a bobcat in a few weeks when my parents visit, to mess with the back section of the yard. I am planning on fencing her out of that front part tomorrow and then hopefully eithr I can work on it as the weather improves, or we will just deal with it in a few weeks. Imagine keeping a horse in a 10 x 50' paddock. In the rain, hail, etc...while the horse is having separation anxiety and stress issues and spends a lot of time pacing and running the fenceline. That is basically what this is like since Foxy spends 95% of her time up there. As you can imagine, it is a DISASTER.
We had weeks and months with no rain during the growing season, and now that it is so cold everything died......we have had days and days and days and weeks of rain. It is supposed to rain another few days starting monday or tuesday I think. Foxy got mad that I did not allow her in her corner when I was messing with it and did a few pissy circles and then took off running and bucking and flew past me to slide (and almost go through the fence as her slide was longer than expected) through the muck into her favorite little corner. What an ass she is sometimes. So I came in and opened up the Mare Magic right then and there. Ha!
Since Foxy is off and on "okay" sometimes and not others...I wonder if may be hormone related. She can be fine for days or weeks and then be looney for a while. Who knows. It is relatively inexpensive and since Foxy is a head case, I figure it can't hurt much.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I have been following your blog for a while and had planned on suggesting Mare Magic to you but it seems I won't need to anymore. I keep my mare on 1 and a half scoops ALL THE TIME. She gets part in the morning and part at night which seems to help tremendously. I think it keeps her calm and focused and she seems to be alot happier too. Have you thought about getting Foxy a "friend"? She may be extremely bored and lonely which is causing her to have those days where she focuses on every silly thing she possibly can think of. Maybe a goat or a mini horse would be a good inexpensive option? At the boarding barns there always seem to be activity and other horses for company so when a horse is withdrawn from that kind of hussle and bussle to such a quiet area it could be almost nervewracking for her.
Good luck with the Mare Magic! I hope it works!
I don't have the time or money or space for a friend for Foxy right now unfortunately. As much as I think she would enjoy a goat or something of that nature, my fence is not goat proof....and anything small is in danger of being eaten by dogs/coyotes out here.
I'm hoping the Mare Magic will at least take the edge off. She is generally reasonable on her own and just has to get past this whole crazy paranoia about the yard.
Post a Comment