Wednesday, July 22, 2009

I'm alive

Look, I'm alive!


Frankie is too! Even though Norman just tried to kill him.

You think I'm joking.






Photobucket




Photobucket




Photobucket



Photobucket





They look like they are laying innocently but Norman is definitely keeping an eye on Frankie here.....





Photobucket





Poor Frankie.




Photobucket




And also poor Frankie because...remember when he broke into the chicken coop and got his dewclaw caught on the fence? Well, Monday night it was all swollen and bleeding again and he was limping. Oy vey. So I took him to the vet after work Tuesday night and the vet said they were going to have to remove his nail completely.


Poor Frankie. You can see how swollen the rear dewclaw is in this picture taken at the vet Tuesday. You could actually grab the nail and wiggle it around....it was broken right in the base...like it was ripped partially out but still attached.


Yuck




Photobucket




It was almost 7 o'clock by then, definitely too late to sedate him for it, so he went back Wednesday morning to get put under, have the nail removed and his wound cleaned and leg bandaged up.


I picked him up after work today




Photobucket



Poor Frankie.



He did perk up a bit after a while and was back to his crazy self.




Photobucket




He and Toby even laid around watching Wipeout with me.




Photobucket




Want to know what Toby thought about Frankie having to spend the day at the vet getting poked and prodded?



Photobucket



Wanna know what Norman thinks about this?




Photobucket



Such expressive animals I have.



So Poor Frankie is on pain pills and antibiotics. Between the whole lot of us, we are like a damn pharmacy. Because Norman gets 2 pills a day, Bella gets 1 pill a day, Frankie gets 4 pills a day and I get 3 pills a day.



Why do I get three pills a day, you ask?



So, 8 (count em, eight) days ago I got bit by a mosquito. The day Stew laid her first egg! I was over at the fence talking to my old lady neighbor and a damn mosquito bit me on the arm. I saw it and swatted it but too late!


And now for the last 8 days, my arm has looked like this.




Photobucket




Yeah.



I was still on antibiotics from when I was sick from Tuesday through Sunday of this arm thing. And I took benadryl Saturday when I (finally) mowed the lawn.


Yet it persisted.



So today, after my coworkers started running in fear when I approaced, I finally went to the doctor. He gave me something stronger than benadryl, different antibiotics and some cream.


Yay.



Let's see who else is falling apart around here.


The Giant Rooster got all his tail feathers plucked out by the girls.




Photobucket





Photobucket
Are you talking to me?






Poor Giant Rooster.





Photobucket
Are YOU talking to ME?




He is getting SO BIG. Compare his size to the wheelbarrow in this picture.




Photobucket



And then remember he is only 4 months old and is a slow maturing breed that will continue to grow and fill out until 18 months.


Wow.



Please don't kill me Giant Rooster.




Photobucket




Yeah, you. Don't forget what happened to Crockpot!




Photobucket



Stop looking at me like that!




I've started letting the chcickens out for a little bit some nights to eat bugs and grass in the yard.

Remember when I said they were racist? And had the pics of them only hanging out with their own type?



IT CONTINUES.




Photobucket





Stew still spends the days in her little pen, but she can hang out with them when they are out of their pen, since she has room to escape when they chase her.

Check out the chicks with pants, they are SO CUTE.




Photobucket




Stew is pretty cute too.




Photobucket




She has laid me 5 whole eggs! 4 since the last time I posted! Each one bigger than the one before. Today's egg was quite pretty.

Of course I did not take a picture with today's egg, but here are the other four.




Photobucket




Speaking of eggs, I finally built the nesting boxes for the coop.


Here is a formula for anyone wanting to build their own.


1 sheet of plywood (cut into two 4x4 squares for ease of handling)


Photobucket



Photobucket



Two 1x4 boards, 8 feet in length. Plus one box of grade stakes (I am such a cheater).


Some plans I scribbled out.



Photobucket



Photobucket
(p.s. please note the plans look nothing like finished product....it just gives me a starting point)
(p.p.s. please note the plans make no sense as half of it is telling me how to cut the sheet of plywood to end up with the right sizes with the fewest cuts, and half scribbles that don't have anything to do with what they appear to. Like the measurements often do not correspond with what is next to them, but rather what size something else is. they make sense to me!)




Add to that 1.5 hours of work....and you get......






Photobucket



Ta-da!





Photobucket



Ta fricking da.



I had my neighbor come over and help me carry the unit to the coop Tuesday night.




Photobucket



And then I added my fake eggs, to give the girls the idea.




Photobucket




None of those slacker bitches are laying eggs yet, but they are CLOSE. Three of the girls have really red combs which means EGGS ARE COMING VERY SOON. Whoo!


Check out the Evil Buttercup and her RED ASS COMB.



Photobucket


The eggs are coming, the eggs are coming!


Since the big coop has the real nesting boxes now, I moved the little plastic tub to Stew's pen, since she had just been laying them in the dirt. That was last night....and today she left an egg in the bin, just like she is supposed to.


What a good chicken.




Photobucket
I'm awesome!





So back to my WHAT ELSE HAS GONE WRONG LATELY rant.


Went to see Ms Foxy the other day. Aside from her feet being a MESS again (they are being trimmed tomorrow yay), she has scratches on her white leg. AGAIN.

I hate scratches. I won't post the picture here, since it was gross. It is in a different spot as last time, we'll see how it goes.



Otherwise, she was looking good.




Photobucket



She is such a pretty girl.



Photobucket




I did, however, find time to torture her.






Photobucket




I am a horrible person.




But wait!


It get worse.



Photobucket



What did Foxy think of this, you ask?




Photobucket
Do not approve!



Of course, she eventually realized that carrots stuck to her face are removed and put into her MOUTH immediately.



Photobucket
I approve!






Completely unrelatedly......remember when I posted the picture I drew on my coworker's whiteboard?






So the other day I am at Big Lots and see this.




Photobucket




Eerily similar, eh?




Craziness.



More random shit. One day I was driving and there was a van ahead of me with, no lie, a window air conditioner on the back door window.


I was not quick enough with the camera phone and missed out on the opportunity. I was bummed that I could not post it here and mock them, right?


And then the next day I was driving and SAW THEM AGAIN.




Photobucket



Mocking to commence in 3, 2, 1......



How weird is that?





I think that is it. Did you miss me? I turned off my comment notification email thingies accidently, so did not notice anyone was commenting to me. Oops.

12 comments:

joanna said...

I love the air conditioner in the window! It looks like a Jeff Foxworthy joke- you might be a redneck if ...

Thank you for the nesting box plans. My hubby will need them when we build our own coop. I'm sure he can understand them. He usually gets my egyptian looking scribbles.

Unknown said...

lmfao.....reeedddnnneeeccckkk I am surprised that isn't in my town.

Anonymous said...

Sweet! Glad you are alive!!!
AC in the van...LOL!!!

Pam Sessoms said...

AC van reminds me of: http://thereifixedit.com/2009/07/02/epic-kludge-photo-ahhh-air-conditioning/

All-around awesome post -- so glad you're back. :)

Dori said...

The date stamped chicken eggs were hilarious! Love it... And the wind AC unit is so ghetto...

RachelLynne said...

OMG I cannot believe you put carrots in Foxy's halter!! That is epic!

You have also inspired me to get chickens.....

Monica said...

Yay!!! I'm glad you are back and feeling better. Rear dewclaws only purpose in life is to get hung on something and bleed. Frankie will be much better off without them.

The AC reminds me of an old car I saw driving through Bowling Green. An old Caddy or something shaped like it pulled out in front of me. The driver's side window was broken and instead of fixing it with plastic and tape like a lot of people do, these guys had shoved a storm window from a house trailer into the crevice where the car window had been. The top 8-12 inches of window stuck up in the air above the car.

Sharon said...

So glad you're alive! And the air conditioner in the van was hilarious! lol!

My dog also had a dew claw - I had it removed when she went in to be spayed .. I was afraid that same thing would happen!

Sharon said...

BTW ... have you ever thought about training Foxy to drive? My friend has a horse that gets offended when anyone tries to ride her .. but is beautiful when being driven. Just a thought :)

Kelly said...

Good to see you are alive! I actually missed hearing about those chickens. The nesting boxes are great. You could make little door to the outside so you can reach in and snatch fresh ones. Not that you need another project. :)

And that must have been some sort of amazon mosquito. Yikes, I hope you get to keep the arm. j/k

As for the C.M.V., I can say I have seen some creepy ones in my time but never one with AC. Who knows there could be a stripper pole in there for all we know.

Good to see Foxy, she look really good. I must say, she has the life! I saw my fill a couple weeks ago and dam, she is small. I have no idea why. My trainer kept saying she is bigger but I think having her in a pasture with a miniature has warped her sense of size.

Anyhow, glad you are on the mend, as well as your four legged fur balls.

MsFoxy said...

Hi Joanna,

My nesting boxes were built to fit exactly under the window and along the wall between the door and the garage/wall....your hubby can adjust or plan them exactly the size you need. I just went off pictures of the same thing so I knew what they "should" look like, and then decided my own measurements depending on where I was going to put them and the size of my chickens. If you have "normal" chickens you could go with 12x12, or with "large" chickens 14x14. Supersized like jersey giants or maybe the giant brahmas or giant cochins should have 16x16. Some people even use a "community" nesting box...like if I had left mine as simply two long shelves...then the chickens can share the bigger space, supposedly.

There ya go, more info than you could ever want to know :)


Dori,
The eggs actually come out of the chicken date stamped? Isn't that amazing? All I had to do was convince Stew to eat an ink pad and a stamper last week. Just kidding.....

RachelLynne,

You're getting chickens? Awesome! I wanna hear all about it, ha ha ha.

Monica,

Frankie isn't having his dewclaws removed....just the damaged nail. I assume it'll even grow back. I wish the shelter had done them when he was neutered there, but I'm not going to remove them now, just cross my fingers and hope for the best (and keep the dog insurance up to date!)


Sharon,

I would not trust Foxy to drive....she is too cuckoo and likes to bolt. Plus I have never even been able to teach her to ground drive to be honest. She is too lame for anything, anyways.... :(


Hippo,

since I was originally goign to make the exterior nesting boxes and switched the plans to these....I am considering putting a door/flap in the wall under the window to collect from the outside. But right now I have to open the big door to unlock the pop door in the mornings and to grab Stew, so I have to go in there anyways. Because my coop is 6-7 feet tall, it is not bad to go in and out. Plus I can search for rogue egg layers in ther corners :)

Alanna said...

hey very nice egg boxes, one thing that might help are some covers over the front of them, I use canvas flaps, the chickens much prefer to lay their eggs in privacy. If you haven't interupted one of them yet just wait it is pretty hillarious.