I went to visit Ms Pissy Pants today since her board was due yesterday and I totally forgot.
Whoops.

You are a failure, Crazy Food Lady
So I went down and they have a fancy wash rack in their barn with the big pole that extends out over the horse to keep the hose up and since it was so hot, I hosed off Ms Foxy. She is okay with being hosed off for everywhere but her head. She hates when you spray her head or face. I even try shooting it up so that it "rains" down on her head, but she just hates it. Always has, always will.

I'm getting a bath! Save me!
Look how big her butt is. Foxy has some serious junk in her trunk.


I can't believe you just made fun of my butt.
And then Foxy and I had a little discussion about the turn of events on this blog.
About how I have been spending all my time working on the chicken area.
Dealing with the chickens.
Visiting the chickens.
Feeding the chickens.
I even gave them a carrot the other day.

SAY WHAT?!?!
Yes, Ms Foxy, I gave one of your carrots to the chickens.

Do. Not. Approve.
Oh Foxy, but they are so cute and fluffy and hilarious!

I'm sorry, maybe come a little closer so you can hear me better. Yep. Little closer

I DO NOT APPROVE OF THIS!
Ms Foxy got a nice rinse and a mane comb out and a handful of carrots and then that was it.

All done! yay!
I sprayed her with some fly spray and slapped her mask back on and we were good to go.
She is such a goober.

Time to go back!

Adios suckers!
So in the bird nest update of the day...........there is another new nest! Seriously. In the hanging basket right next to the one that had the baby birds.

The other nest that is in the other hanging basket is still empty.
Sadly, I decided to check the nest in the garage and there is only 1 egg left. I think something got into it and has been stealing them. I haven't seen a mom or dad bird in there for days.

And the stuff you have all been waiting for.......
Last post I was at this point.

So I ended up covering the area for the exterior nesting box with a piece of plywood for now. I have the nesting box pieces all cut and ready to be put together and installed. I am hoping to get it put together in the nest week, but at least covering the hole makes the shed 'usable' for now.

So then I cut the door out of plywood and dry-fit it to make sure it all worked. Okay technically I cut the door and then tried to fit it and it did not fit AT ALL. Measure twice, cut once, right? And I did that! Except I couldn't find a pen to write down the measurements so I scratched them into a scrap piece of wood with a screw.
Yes, seriously.
And then when I went to cut them, apparently I could not read my writing. Look, a 7 totally looks like a 9, okay. So then I had to cut it again.

It fit! whoo!
So I framed it with some 1x4 scrap pieces I had bought from Home Depot (a whole $2 worth for the whole door, ha ha ha).
Then, I used some makeshift shims (read: scraps from bad cuts) to wedge the door where I wanted it and mounted the hinges.

Looking good, right? So I added another piece of framing to the middle. And then I tried to open the door.
AND IT WORKED.

It worked really well. I was actually really surprised.
So I mounted some slide bolts on the corners. It needs to be super secure, both to keep the crazy animals out and to keep the door from warping as it settles.

I have also finished up the floor, half yesterday and the rest today. I did not cover the area under the table/shelf as I ran out of plywood. But it is not necessary, the floor is in good condition there and as it is under the table, does not get stepped on anyways.
You can kind of see the floor here.

Today I mounted the handle on the door, cut out the two remaining windows and attached the mesh to them. Then I cleaned out all of the crap from the shed. Tomorrow I plan on patching the few spots that are left where the roof and walls come together and finally cutting the pop hole so the chickens have access into there. I need to get on a ladder to screw part of the roof onto the frame, but need someone's help for that.
The finish line is in sight! I can see it!
Now, because I am totally anal retentive, I brought all of the boxes of screws inside so I can organize them into the new plastic containers I bought. I keep dropping boxes of screws and they spill everywhere. Or I lose a box. Or I see a box and assume I have enough but really only have 2 left in it. So I am going to move them all to one of those clear plastic organizer tray things.
I am such a nerd. Ha!

7 comments:
Foxy did not look pleased with the bathing processs. Even less pleased when she found out the chickens were getting her carrots. Her fly mask is hysterical...
I've been so stressed out the last few weeks but when I see a new Foxy post...well, it's a highlight for me! :) That fly mask makes me giggle out loud. I am seriously impressed with your building skills, you do some fine work...SOLO AND WITH SCRAP WOOD!? Your property doesn't look like someone would think if I described your projects to them, ha ha. My husband is the same--he can take some leftover 'stuff' from the back pasture and turn it into a work of art. We reno'd our last house/acreage using 95% recycled materials, inside and out, and ended up selling it for a ridiculous profit. Nobody could tell. Me, myself...well, I would like to believe I could create like you do...but I'd be lying. I don't like loud noises (I don't know, I just don't) so hammering a nail or using a saw pretty much drives me out of my mind. I can envision projects, draw them out for the handyman, but then I stay out of the way until it's done, or he needs some advice. :)
Awesome.
Don't worry Indigo HATES her head being bathed too so I just sponge her face to death instead of getting it done in one fell swoop. She does like drinking out of the hose however.
I totally want chickens!!! Unfortunatly only WILD creatures survive around my house...i live in a jungle. *sad face*
I love reading your blog!
www.focusingongrasshoppers.blogspot.com
The chicken condo looks great! I love the bolt at the top of the door. Are you going to put some sort of latch on the inside so when you are in there no one escapes? I can't wait to see the nesting boxes. As for me, I once tried to build a tack box, it was not pretty. You could totally be a carpenter.
Foxy looks good, not that she shouldn't, she certainly lives the good life.
The Zombie Chicken Award awaits you at my blog! Stop by and pick it up when you can! Enjoy!
SolitaireMare
Dori, Foxy was totally disgruntled about the bathing process in the beginning.....then she seemed to enjoy the middle of it...then came the face washing, OH NOES. Her fly mask cracks me up.
Obedience-unleashed, I have never built anything prior to moving here so this has been a fun learning experience for me. I haunt the "cull bin" at Home Depot religiously. Who can beat 50 cent wood, you know?
Sydney, I never think to bring a sponge so I just make her suffer. She has taken a drink from a hose a time or two but mostly she just backs up and acts angry.
Focusgrasshopper, you can now own chickens vicariously through me! Or not quite, but at least you can experience the photos and not the hard work, right?
Hippo2b, I added the latch after you mentioned it. And yes, Foxy does lead the good life. Nothing fancy at all, but she sure enjoys hanging out in a field doing nothing all the time. Retirement suits her....
SolitaireMare, thanks for the award! I will go grab it one of these posts.
Post a Comment