But until then....a non-Foxy update. Poor Foxy, her blog has been taken over by my REAL LIFE OMG.
So, as per the subject line, Margaritaville strikes again!
It has been SO HOT HERE. It has been in the upper 90's with HIGH humidity. Heat Index over 100 degrees. Oh man, too hot to do anything. The poor chickens are miserable. I have the lights off and a fan running on the babies in the garage, the tarp covering the back chicken pen with an extra bowl of water for them, and the Evil Rooster and his lady in their pen under the one tree so they have extra shade.
Speaking of the Evil Rooster.
He is SO EVIL.
He gets meaner by the day.

I'm going to kill you.

Death to crazy food lady.

Prepare for the Rooster Dance

Is that a Rooster Rake I spy or do you have a death wish?
EVIL. HE IS SO EVIL.
I am teaching Frankie to help me herd them in at night. I put Frankie on a leash and carry the rooster rake in the other hand and then I herd them around with Frankie at my side. Frankie is interested but not aggressive about it. He does not strain to get to them or anything, just watches very attentively.
I actually have a FOR SALE ad up for him right now. Although he is FREE. Free to new home! Because he is so evil. He has flogged me repeatedly this week, constantly drops a wing and dances at me and wants to take me down.
However.
Sometimes.
I WIN.

Take THAT, Evil Rooster.
And then not my not so evil GIANT ROOSTER, for comparison.

Actually this picture is blurry but shows his size a little better.

He is HUGE. GIANT. I guess that is why they call them Jersey Giants?
I am going to have to get him some Jersey Giant girls. I worry he will kill the girls he is with, doing "the deed". He stepped on one of the Buttercups by accident the other day and she ran around in a daze for a few minutes afterwards, squawking, poor thing.
Here is another picture showing the size difference. He is on the far right, his big girl right next to him, then the two white leghorns, then the two buttercups. He is standing up, the two Buttercups are standing up, the big girl and two white leghorns are laying down. It is dark as it was dusk and they were all roosting for the night.

He is going to kill them! Argh! One of the hatcheries has Jersey Giant chicks available for shipment on July 13th. But it also requires a 25 chick minimum, so I would have to order 5 or so of the JG girls for him, and then 20 other chicks that I would assume I could sell. Or I could buy hatching eggs, hope I could actually incubate and hatch them and that there would be enough girls and then still have to deal with the boys......or there are apparently some girls for sale already laying about an hour north of here. Hmmmm......
I need another chicken coop! I have an ad up for the blue silkie mix chick for sale, Evil Rooster for sale.......I need to sit and decide who is going to stay and who is going to go. And also finish the chicken pen 6 foot conversion, and put up the roll of fencing to enlarge the pen.
I have a damn cat that is stalking my chickens again. The same cat as before. So I will have to definitely cover the new pen, regardless of size. I am thinking I will make it 6 feet tall and then use a tarp over one part and bird mesh over the other.

I'd better not get eaten!
You know, I do this to myself....I create all of this work! If I was not building chicken pens, I could be....sitting on my ass doing nothing all the time.
It would be glorious.
OR. I could down margaritas by the dozen. And wasn't that the point of this post? Margaritaville!
So yes, back to my story...heat? Yes, heat. It has been SO HOT. I have literally spent all weekend doing nothing. Napping on the couch. Eating. Napping some more. Finally tonight we had some rain which cooled things off a bit. Just enough rain to ruin my plans of mowing the yard tonight.
So instead I sat on the porch swing drinking margaritas.
Hey, whatever works right?
I actually went out there with a plan! I threw Frankie out in the back fenced area....

....and brought Toby and Bella onto the front porch with me....

...and planned on finally cleaning the porch. It is the "halfway" point for cleaning. Because it is covered it gets everything that needs to be moved out of the house but that I don't have time to get to it's "final destination".

See all that stuff everywhere?
That is just ridic.
I should clean it up.
Totally.

Yep.
Any minute now.
Going to get right up and start cleaning.
Right after.......

.......I refill my glass....

Ah, much better.
Now about all the crap on the porch........

HA! I got the trash bagged, the brooder supplies packed up in the tub to be moved to the garage and the electric fencing grouped to move to the garage as well.
Only problem is.....

Damn it!
Two margaritas is more than enough for me so that was that.

Frankie got a couple ice cubes from the last margarita. He was happy as a clam!
Speaking of Frankie.....
Wasn't he an adorable little puppy?

And now?

He has gotten pretty big. He is actually a little bigger than Toby now.
Here he is visiting with my old lady neighbor. He is taller than she is, standing on his hind legs.

He is really enjoying the new fencing. He races and races around the yard now......since it has been so hot, he is still staying inside all the time other than when we got out for maybe a half hour or so.
It was too hot to do much of anything yesterday, other than give Frankie a BATH.

He hates baths.
But then he was cool enough to run around like crazy for a bit.

One last thing before I go.......
Remember the House Finch nest?

Well yesterday, one of the baby birds started hatching! That little spot is a hole that he pecked in the shell! I could see him moving underneath it.

And then a few hours later......

Halfway out! Unfortunately, when I rechecked this morning, over 12 hours later.....he had not made any progress. Still only half out and struggling.....
I restrained myself from "helping" and let nature take its course...
And when I rechecked later today....

He was out!
And hungry!

None of the other eggs appear to have any cracks or holes yet. I'll recheck tomorrow and see.
Until later!
ALSO, ETA, I got eaten alive by chiggars again. DAMN IT!

5 comments:
aaaghh ciggers, I hate those things good thing they aren't really around here much.
my dear, you are way tooooooooo funny and entertaining, I sit here at my desk laughing away each day with everyone wondering what good stuff I'm on, those empty Margarita glasses done me int oday.....keep it coming.....
HAHAHA That's about how my productivity goes on hot days too. I love margaritaville! It always treats me good! Frankie was an adorable puppy. Cute dog too! He sounds like he'd be a good match for my Chey (crazy Aussie). They might be able to wear eachother out! lol
I haven never seen a chicken as large as the Jersey Giant!! WOW! His legs are almost at thick as your arm. Will he get any bigger?? If he does maybe you'll need to get him a little saddle and bridle.
You need some "Chigarid".. Will help stop the itching...
Post a Comment