
And then last night, I shoved their little feathered asses through the pop door, closed and locked it and they spent the night in the shed!
Whooooooo!
And I proceeded to spend all night having horrible nightmares about all the possible ways in which they could die. Animals breaking in, door latches breaking and they get loose, crazy neighbors letting them out, etc etc etc.
Now keep in mind, I have the coop padlocked at night....so no person can open it and get them out. You would have to take a screwdriver and dismantle a portion of it to get in.
The weakest point of the shed is easily the roof. I'm still not convinced it is totally secure but I'm not sure how to improve on it, to be honest. An animal cannot fit in any gap (other than maybe a small snake or rat or mouse or something) that currently exists, however a crazy raccoon could maybe pry up part of the metal roofing and shimmy in. Maybe?
Or possibly I am just paranoid.
Either way, I went out this morning and found this.

And this...

They were happy as a clam in there. Not happy when it is dark at night, but once the sun comes up they have 3 times as much space as they had in the tack slash coop shed in the garage.
Even my cute little barred/speckled/whatever chick with pants were enjoying the new roosts.

And the other two speckled chicks with pants.

The Giant Rooster was enjoying the space also.

Now they have not yet really figured out how to work the pop door and ramp. About half of them figured it out this morning....all of the chicks with pants were still putting around inside. I grabbed each of them and stuck them on the ramp.
And then tonight, when it was time to lock them up....the two White Leghorns were already inside and up on roosts! Whooo! 1 of the Buttercups put herself away also....the others I had to pick up and stick through the door though......but they were much more cooperative today than yesterday as far as not trying to get back out and into the pen. I think in a week or so, they should have it all figured out. I need to bust out some treats and get them used to the sound of treats after shaking the can so I can go in the coop and shake the can and have them all run inside to get them.
The nice part of this all is that the 9 little chicks have moved out into the tack shed. They are out of the bedroom! and just in time since my dad's flight arrived today....he is over my sister's house tonight but will be here tomorrow. That room has been dusted and vacuumed and deoderized and the bed linens pulled and washed and it is ready for dear ol dad.
Just in time!

Did I mention that I am giving some of them to my coworker? The obvious Rhode Island Red cockerel (same type as Crockpot), two of the gray/blue chicks, and maybe the blueish silkie mix cockerel. I am definitely keeping the Polish, the splash Andalusian, the blue Andalusian that I think is a girl, the black Andalusian and the RIR that I think is a girl.
Technically even if I did not get rid of any of the chicks with pants, my coop could fit those 5 plus the 14 I already have. I go by the 3 square foot per chicken, not 4 square foot, as mine will never be locked in the coop other than at night, and will have extra run space once I finish building the run addition.
We'll see how many I keep once they have all gotten a little older and I can see boy vs girl, personalities and whether they get along and LAY ME SOME MOTHER EFFIN EGGS.
Speaking of eggs.........
The nest in the garage was raided by something that stole or ate the eggs. The birds have not come back lately.
The other new nest in one of the front hanging baskets has not seen a bird in a while and just does not look completely "finished".
However.
As things go around here.
THERE ARE TWO NEW NESTS.
IN TWO MORE HANGING BASKETS.
And they each have eggs! As of Saturday morning, there were 2 in the House Finch nest and 1 in the Carolina Wren nest. Awesome!
House Finch on Friday.

House Finch on Saturday.

Carolina Wren on Friday.

Carolina Wren on Saturday.

So, on my front porch 4 of the 6 baskets have or have had nests. That is RIDICULOUS. AND AWESOME.
Yay birds?
Also, I finally went back and caught up on some comments......sorry! I am a slacker!

10 comments:
Wow! How many birds live on your property?! How many chickens do you have now? What are you going to do if they have chicks!? You'll be over run with chickens! Yikes!!
What does Foxy think of this!? Lol, does she know of the chickens? I actually went to a Chicken's birthday party today... maybe I'll post pictures on my blog for you t show Foxy. :)
Word Verification: ratio
I live in the boonies and there are trees everywhere so there are a LOT of birds. They love my house, apparently.
I got those 2 chickens (Crockpot and Stew). Then the 6 chickens (Giant Rooster and his 5 ladies). Then the 6 chickens (Chicks with pants). Then the 9 accidental chicks (4 going to my friend). SO THERE ARE A LOT OF CHICKENS HERE. I need to cull the flock but I am afraid of culling the wrong ones so I am waiting until I am positively sure on who to keep and who to not keep. Crockpot is entertaining but man is he meaaaaan. I think he may need to go. But Stew would be so bummed.....
I FORGOT TO ADD THIS TO MY POST:
I am going to make a sign or two to hang on the coop. Something funny. Like, No feathers, no eggs, no service. Something funny and chicken related.
Like the BEWARE OF ANGRY COCK sign I considered? I need something chicken-y and funny!
help?
I'll think on the sign.. "Beware of angry cock" is pretty good.
hahahah beware of angry cock is hilarious! you definately need that.
The chickens are awesome.
Just remember my story about my grandfather buying 5$ worth of 1 cent a piece chicks. They don't taste good and there will be more eggs than you can shake a stick at.
Can you briefly explain (again, sorry) exactly how the pop door works? I'm getting too much done at work today, after all...
Could you please briefly explain again how the pop door works? I'm really curious.
I think you should start a chicken club in your town. Recently in our neck of the woods (so to speak) someone founded CLUCK, the Charlottesville League of Urban Chicken Keepers. I'm sure they would love to follow your brood's every move :)
Dori, Nothing beats a sign about an angry cock, ha ha ha.
Sydney, at the rate I am going, I am going to get a dozen eggs a day. Perhaps I should start writing up my egg selling ads now?
Middleagerider, the pop door is a slider....like a guillotine? the line that is pulled goes through the front wall of the coop so I can open and close the coop without going in. So like, if I need to go inside to work on something, I can lock the chickens out so they don't try to escape. Or vice versa. It just blocks access to or from the coop and run.
right now I have to physically lock it down at night and unlock in the morning, but eventually I will figure out a better way of doing it. I think I need something that latches automatically when it closes....and then a way to unlock that from the outside? Still figuring that out.
I HAVE A JOKE FOR YOU GUYS.
BOCK BOCK.
Whose there?
COCK
Cock who?
COCK A DOODLE DOO!
thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week, thank you.....
I love your roosts!
I'm working on my tractor, and have not decided on the roosts.
What did you use? 2x4's?
How far apart did you space them?
My chicks are doing awesome. They are 2 weeks old, and I'm so surprised by the different personalities as well as the different stages of development in chicks that hatched the same day.
Growingwhileshrinking, I did use 2x4, 4" inch side up so they can "crouch" and cover their feet in winter.
I have a branch in two of the pens for them to perch on.
What kind of chickens did you get?
My 3 week olds are getting to be pretty obvious as far as rooster vs girls. I have at least 3 roosters.....I am thinking actually 4 rooster, 4 girls and 1 who knows what. We'll seeeee...my friend sounds like she is backing out on taking them. I think I need to get rid of Crockpot (he is SO MEAN) and just keep one of the other cockerels instead.
Word verification: zoopluxe
Zoo? What a surprise......
i got a hybrid called ISA Red. Which I think is Rhode Island Red rooster crossed with a white or silver hen. Not sure. (the ISA Brown is a RIR crossed with a Rhode Island White hen). The important thing for me was that they are a sex-linked bird, so the chance of me ending up with a rooster is teeny tiny. The girl chicks are yellow/red/brown. The boys are white.
They are supposed to be on the smallish side of the regular birds. 4 pounds finished, maybe.
I choose them because of my "backup plan". I have a friend who raises free range meat birds over the summer. And she gets a few ready to lays of this hybrid from her hatchery. So I went with the same birds (which she says are the *nicest kid friendly chickens evver*) so that if our experiment is a failure, I can pass them over to her for the summer. They will not be laying, but they can live a happy life before the flock gets processed in the fall. Does that make me a bad chicken owner? I live in suburbia, and needed a planned bailout before partner would say yes to chickens in the kitchen.
Post a Comment