Nothing new to report here. I went to visit Ms Foxy last night and get her bundled back up. We had quite a few days of 60-70 degree days and 35-45 degree nights. Last night was just below 30 and tonight will be mid 20's, so back the blanket goes! She was filthy as can be and got a quicky grooming just where the blanket goes before I slapped that puppy on her. She was spookily spastic, probably because it was windy and dusk and we were in the barn alone....omg we're all gonna die! We've only done this 290232 times before!
She is such a goof.
I'm going to have to get ghetto on her pasture mates though. They have been meaner than usual to Ms Foxy lately....they probably are okay with her while I am gone but try to kick and bite her while I am there. I almost got whalloped by both Delilah (the mule) and Rain (Paso). Next time I am bringing an extra lead rope so I have something to smack them with when they get near me. I'm fine up until I get the halter on Foxy then I don't have enough lead rope left to work with. And they are both so busy trying to be nasty to Foxy that they almost get me in the process, or get her to where she is ready to run me over to try to escape from them. Bastards. Poor Foxy she is such a wimp..........just another reason why I wanted her at home away from all the nasties.....
Middleagerider asked about Foxy's halter in my last post. Yes, that is one of those Fancy Schmancy Clinton Anderson halters. I actually do prefer lunging or working with that halter over regular rope halters. It is a thinner rope and Foxy leans on it less. Also, I leave her halter on under her bridle (back when I rode her) and it fits better under her bridle than any of my other halters, probably because it is thin and fits close to her face.
When I am not working her, I generally use a softer rope halter or, lately, a plain nylon halter.
So I have all kinds of halters, but prefer the fancy schmancy halter when she is actually being worked and the others for everything else. I do not leave rope halters with boarding people as I just don't even want to go there with them tying ropes of any sort to my horse. They only get regular flat nylon halters for other people. I actually left a safety halter with the last boarders and kept the crown piece buckled so they just slipped it over her ears and only clipped or unclipped the throat latch part. That way it always fit properly, never too loose or too tight, since they often left her turned it out with it on.
An added benefit is getting her better about pulling things over her ears. She was never bad about it before but after a year of having her halter pulled over her ears daily, she was awesome.
I mentioned my plans to try to ride Foxy again to my mom (who is visiting from Cali). She was unhappy to say the least. She thinks Foxy needs to be permanently retired as she "has a few screws loose". My mom used to horsesit for me at the self care place in California when I went on vacation, and was the one to come pick me up and take me to the hospital when Foxy threw me and broke my arm. So, I guess she has earned her opinion :) And I sort of agree that Foxy has a few screws loose....but she may still be ridable at a walk in a halter in an enclosed space, ha ha ha. I figure since I'm paying $200+ a month just for Foxy to exist, the least she can do is carry my fat ass around for 10 minutes every now and then.
I need to finally bring the saddle up and get it listed to sell, to fund my concert festival trip coming up here. Anyone want to buy a barely used Billy Cook Barrel saddle? I bought it new towards the end of 06 and used maybe two dozen times? I only rode for 2-3 months and I remember going weeks without riding in the middle there, and even on good weeks I only rode her maybe twice a week. Used it to lunge her saddled a bit, etc etc. Bought new for about $900 I think. I see them on Ebay going for 600ish? Full QH bars, 14 or 14.5 seat (can't remember which). I have the paperwork at home somewhere. I need to just list that sucker on ebay and be done with it. Matching breastcollar (bought separately but does match). I'd like to sell the (really nice) bridle as well, as it matches the set and is way more than what I need.
Anybody want some new tack? :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment