Today was a quickie visit for Foxy. I only had a little daylight left so I busted out the bridle and slapped it onto her. She hasn't had a bit in for over a year. She was NOT HAPPY. Oh well. We will have to work on that. I just put the bridle on and off a few times and that was it. I clipped a lead rope to her halter and tried to steer her with it. No go! She did do some nice flexing, obviously remembers that. But using the lead rope as reins did not get me anywhere! she was SO CONFUSED by me trying to ground drive via lead rope attached to halter while walking next to her. It did not help that the stupid dog was harrassing us the whole time. He likes to chase the horses in the arena and needs to be locked up to get anything done. But if he thinks you are going to work he won't let you catch him. Bastard.
So Foxy and I walked around and struggled for a few minutes, then I brought her back to the gate to go back inside. For whatever reason she spooked and pulled back hard...but then got over it. I think the gate bounced or scraped or something. Who knows. She got over it. She is so super polite on the ground that I think that was part of the struggle with the ground driving. She did not understand the concept of walking ahead of me and not facing me. No comprende!
I did find a new farrier to come out next week and get her going. Hopefully this will help and the trimming will help improve her soundness. I did go out and measure her feet the other day and in the process got a good look at how unbalanced they are. Over an inch longer than they are wide....and each foot is a different size. Her toes are not even the same length on each side. What a mess! I have struggled with her feet ever since I have owned her but this most recent farrier seemed to be doing a better job...up until the last few trims. This one looks like shit! So that is that....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I just found your blog...Foxy is gorgeous!! Best of luck to you. I'll be sure to follow your progress.
Thanks! It's been a slow start so far but we're working on it..slooooowly.
Post a Comment