Wednesday, May 21, 2008

What's the plan Stan?

So I guess I need some sort of plan for this whole restarting thing. That used to always be my downfall. I would get going and not have any idea what to do. We would wander around the arena and argue about everything as there was not really any point to what we were doing.

I did buy some little orange cones the other day. I figure if nothing else I can have something to aim for, maybe make my own mini obstacle course in the arena.

But even aside from that...I need a plan! Her groundwork is pretty solid. She learned all that good stuff last year and the year prior and does not appear to have forgotten much if anything. She drops her head for the halter which we have been putting on like a bridle...we just leave the throatlatch clip thing undone and then pull it up over her ears and then reclip. To take off it is simply the reverse. So bridling should not be an issue (not that it ever was anyways).

Grooming is fine, feet can be picked up and picked from either side. Usually I am lazy and will pick all four feet from one side, just reaching under to get the opposite side. She still lunges well, backs with a wiggle on the lead rope, goes where you point her. She will stand in her stall doorway with the door wide open....waiting for permission to come out.

Things she is not good at?

-Bridle path clipping! FAIL FAIL FAIL I could never get this one better for her. She is phobic about the buzzing near her ears. I can clip her face, legs, etc..anything but near her ears. I have tried simply running them but not clipping or touching near her ears, pressure and release, etc etc. Can't figure it out! But have not tried in a good 8 months. So that is on the list.
-Steering! She did not steer well when I rode her. Typical greenie confusion. We need to work on this.
-Ground Driving! She does not ground drive and I do not know how to teach her. But I think it would help the steering issue. She is 1000 times better at learning on the ground so I'm sure would easily put two and two together once she figured it out on the ground.
-Shoeing! She is "tolerable" for trimming, not good at all for shoes. I cannot make her any better for trimming. I could hold up her foot, fake file and trim and hammer and flap it around....for days. She does not mind! She does not appreciate farriers doing the same. Too nervous giving up mobility with a stranger. Only way to work around this is to....do it more often? Not sure.


What else? She leads, lunges, grooms, bathes, fly sprays, "okay" for farrier...last time we did it she was fine for saddling and bridling. Obviously the riding itself needs work but that is the hardest for me considering my own relative beginner status. I haven't ridden in over a year now and not since she bucked me off. I say "not ridden" although technically I did remount her a couple times and we walked around but I did not want to push it and get another blow up. It was just a few confidence building sessions for me!

I need a plan, Stan! What should we work on. I am a big ground work fan. The bareback pad session was good...should I go straight to the saddle itself? A session involving the same stuff as the last but wearing the saddle instead of the bareback pad?

I need some direction here!

4 comments:

ImaBronsonBear said...

Hmmmm, just thinking - have you desensitized her to ropes? And tarps? Those are definitely good things to work on. About ground driving. At first, it's best done in a round pen. You need two lunge lines, you attach the first one to the outside ring of the bit, thread it through the stirrup (usually a western saddle), around them (this is where the desensitization comes in!) and back to you. You do the same thing with the inside lunge line, then you have two lines in your hand connected to each side of the bit. At first you can stand in the middle in a lunging position while they get used the pressure, and you can pull them away from the fence and then turn them into the fence to get the concept of turning. Then you gradually get to where you are behind them so they cannot see you and go from there. Personally, i get so wrapped up and confused with all the ropes everywhere that i'm pretty much miserable at it. =D But that would definitely help with your steering issues because she'll get used to turning with the pressure on the ground. I would also teach a one rein stop, if she doesn't know that yet. What i do is i stand next to the horse and hold their head slightly tipped towards the stirrup until move their head towards the stirrup of their own accord, then you drop the rein and try on the other side. They usually fight the pressure a bit at first, just stay with the horse and continue holding lightly until they give a little bit. Continue until their nice and soft about doing it.

Calypso said...

Woo Hoo! I am so glad to see you back online! I always wondered what happened to you and to Princess Foxy!

She is looking fantastic!

Last time we "talked" we were talking pregnant mares and you'd just learned that Foxy was not, and I'd learned that K was! Kaleigh (Tabby) had a gorgeous chestnut filly named Diva (no other name possible!) She's 15 months old already, can you believe it?

I am really looking forward to the continuing adventures of Miss Foxy Fantastic!

Calypso said...

OH - and the clippers? I remember Foxy being rather fond of her grain :-). Try hanging the clippers above her grain bucket in the stall. Then try having them run hanging above her head..with the grain. She'll need to choose fear or grain. My guess is grain will win out.

disclaimer: I haven't had to do this, both my mares are clipper tolerant, but it was recommended by someone who I respect.

Britnie said...

I think a session with the saddle like you did with the pad would be GREAT. Definitely a logical next step.

As for the long lining thing, good idea as well! So fun too, and good excersise for 'mommy' as well, haha. 'Specially when you start trotting!

Like mistys mom said, make sure she is good with the rope all over her hiney etc.

So what I would do is take your tack to the arena with the long lines (or lunge lines whatever you have) and desensitize her to the saddle again, then maybe lunge her with it on then introduce her to the long lines after she is totally cool about the saddle, which sounds like won't be long from your previous post :).
Then like mistys mom said just lunge her with them on in a circle for awhile before trying stepping behind her.

Have fun! And let us know how it goes!