Wednesday, May 13, 2009

What a day!

OH MY GOD, YOU GUYS.



I JUST BECAME A MOTHER.





Remember my sweet little bird nest?


Photobucket





BABIES BABIES BABIES OMG BABIES!




Photobucket



There are at least two hatched....still some eggs in there. They are SO TINY. They are seriously the size of the tip of my thumb.


SO CUTE OMG



Photobucket

I think they are House Finches. They are very much identical, in egg size/color and momma bird looks to the ones on this page


Nature is so fricking amazing!






Photobucket

Ahem, I think **I** am amazing. Let's talk about me instead.



Okay, so let's talk about Ms Foxy. I got a call at work today from the BO letting me know Foxy appeared to be having eye problems. They looked infected and were bothering her, the BO caught her rubbing her face up on the fence posts and everything. Fortunately for us, Foxy has a severe sensitivity to flies.....she pretty much has to wear a fly mask 24/7 during fly season...and I had not put it on her yet. I forgot it the last few visits, but her eyes hadn't started bothering her yet. So I guessed that would be the real cause of the eye issues.......and in the past, once we begin liberal applicatin of fly masks and a few flushes of saline solution of medicine....she will be back to normal.

So the BO offered to treat her twice a day with Terramycin in the meantime, and I went down and slapped a fly mask on her today.

I didn't get a pic, but I used her fly mask that looks like this.


Photobucket




Poor Foxy. Ha ha ha, I LOVE IT.





Photobucket
I demand carrots. LOTS OF THEM.




Foxy has chronic hoof issues. They grow very quickly and very weirdly. She just had her feet trimmed....three weeks ago today. And they are horrible again. I know it is not HOW she is being trimmed as I have gone through...5 farriers now, and she has had the same problems with ALL of them.


Argh.


It doesn't help that her rear white leg....the one with the permanently large ankle, that twists funny when she walks.....the hip the chiro guy always pointed to as her biggest problem.....well, that hoof grows crazy too.




Look how crooked it is.




Photobucket



That whole leg just looks weird when she moves. Nothing overly obvious to a bystander, but if you are looking for an issue, or paying attention to her footfalls....it just doesn't look right. Sometimes I wonder if that hip throws her whole gait and body carraige off enough to cause her lameness issues everywhere else. Because when my foot hurts and I gimp around, I end up with back pain and neck pain and shoulder pain and even my other leg hurts too. It just throws everything off.

There was no improvement whatsoever with Chiro work. So hmph.

I need to figure out how to trim feet and at least then I could keep her feet up better between trims. We already trim at 6 weeks, so not sure how we can improve on that without doing it myself in between.

Foxy Foxy Foxy.......always causing problems for me.....



But such a pretty girl.



Photobucket



I love how she tucks her top lip into her bottom one sometimes. She reminds me of a little old lady trying to hold her dentures in.



That's about it.....btw, sometimes when I don't blog or respond....I have an actual excuse.





Photobucket
My chair, my blog

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Something that WILL help you help you help foxy's hooves between trims!

http://ridersrasp.com

Anonymous said...

All right WOMAN! Foxy is RETIRED! She's ALLOWED to walk funny. Are you REALLY going to be training Endurance or Three day Eventing or another high stress event like that? I think NOT! All of my guys are un-rideable and walk a little off. For f's sake LET HER BE A HORSE AND STOP WORRYING ABOUT HER F'N FEET! THEY AREN'T BOTHERING HER AND THEY SHOULDN'T BE BOTHERING YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MsFoxy said...

Thanks Sydney, I will check that link out when I get home.

Yo, Anonymous, take a chill pill. Did you not notice all of the parts about how lame Foxy is and how she walks funny, gimps around, is ouchy today, etc etc? I could care less if Foxy just "walks funny" as even if she wasn't lame, she is too loony to ride. But since her feet DO bother her...daily...that bothers me.

Either way, pop a xanax and slurp a margarita and just go with the flow.......ha ha ha, that is what I do (minus the xanax).

Dori said...

Love Foxy's fly mask. That is hysterical...

The look on the cat's face is priceless!

Unknown said...

wtf, random anonymous crazies lol!

restoration42 said...

When I look at that hoof, I just can't help myself. I'm sorry, I know you didn't ask for suggestions and you did say you have been through FIVE farriers - STILL!!!! Sorry. Please just take that photo and upload it to the hoof forum at horsecity.com There are some very talented folks there. I know they will have some helpful comments. It won't hurt. Lyra's hoofs looked much like Foxy's - severely underrun heels, huge overgrown bars, and serious medial/lateral imbalance. When you draw a line down the middle of the frog, the two sides of the hoof should be close in size. Do you see how the outside of her hoof is much narrower than the inside? No wonder she uncomfortable. And the ginormous overgrown bar on the inside of the hoof? Ounchie. OK. I'm going away now. Sorry. Before I go, here is the Horse City Hoof Forumn
http://forums.horsecity.com/index.php?showforum=44

Bye again, Cherie

MsFoxy said...

Cherie,

I know that hoof is crazy looking, that is why I posted it.....it is unbalanced and looks overgrown and is just a mess. However, I should take pics next time she gets her feet trimmed....because they usually look fine when they are trimmed....and then within a couple weeks just go to hell in a handbasket....this one worse than the others. I think because of her limited movement on her fat ankle, and "weird walking" it wears funny. It flares and bulges and is just really weird looking, even from the top.

I cleaned out my phone's card last night (it was full....again) so don't have the rest of the pics. And I am pretty sure I only took them of the bottom of the hooves, not views from the top. Maybe next time.

I did take some pics of her hooves post trim......a while back. I will have to dig them up. Some of her hooves look perfectly normal, and some are "weird". Both on the left side of her body are the "weird" ones. The left side of her body is also the side with all the scarring and damage, so maybe it is all related?

When I missed a trim a couple months back.....and then my farrier hurt her back...it threw them all out of whack once again. Dont' feet grow faster in spring months on good grass? They aren't normally this long this quickly......

But yes, I did mention the five farriers because I know how bad her hoof looks.....and it has been the same problems with every single farrier, so at some point, you have to wonder if it is a problem with the horse and not the farrier? FOXY WHY ARE YOUR HOOVES DEFECTIVE?

I need to learn to do it myself.....

Brooke (FBX Adventures - In Parenting) said...

There is a lady in Rainer, WA who has a rehab center for horses with severe hoof ailements. She is really nice and answered all of my million questions that I had when I got Denali and her feet were going to hell in a hand basket. Her feet are fine now, but I use her for dressage.

Foxy is lucky to have a momma like you. There are many people (and someone did to her) that just throw them away when they don't work the way they want them too. That's how I got Denali, that's how my friend got her horse... it's a shame. One suggestion might be trims closer together for a few months to help train the hoof. But honestly, I would talk to Pat. Her blog is

http://hoofrecovery.blogspot.com/

what I've learned from natural hoofcare is a lot of it depends on their environment. They need gravel to walk on and that helps to wear the feet down between trims. Moving around helps too. I'm not sure how active Ms. Foxy is.

Foxy obviously has more going on with her feet than just the enviroment. My friend's horse has a hip problem and my friend finally put shoes on her and now 0 problems with her feet. Her hip is still a little funky, but the vet said it would help. Anyway... Sorry. Rambling! Hope this helps.

Word Verification: Podpi (n) pie made from the left over pea pods.

We had Podpi for dinner yesterday.

Anonymous said...

I think highly of Kate at www.natureshoofcare.com

She trained my farrier.

Perhaps send her the photo.