Wednesday, March 18, 2009

It's a chick addiction!

Well, lots of news today. Namely that I am a chick ADDICT. Tractor Supply got their chicks in. WHAT WAS I SUPPOSED TO DO? There was a 6 chick minimum! I had no choice! I had to get two of each color....and now I'm thinking I should have gotten some bantams....but I'd have to get 6 MORE to get any bantams now. Maybe I'll, uh...stop by the store on my way home tomorrow. JUST TO SEE WHAT IS LEFT. Yep. Just, you know, curiousity and all.

So yes! I got 6 pullets. Or, rather, 6 chicks from the pullet bin. Hopefully they actually ARE pullets. Supposedly 2 are Australorps, 2 are EEs and 2 are either white leghorns or white rocks. Or something else. Ha!

Photobucket


LOOK HOW THEY STAY WITH THEIR OWN KIND.
Photobucket






HOWEVER. I will have you know, I really really want some ducklings. Like REALLY REALLY. And yet? I was able to withstand the duckling bin. EVEN AFTER ONE STARED AT ME AND YAPPED HIS MOUTH. I am totally not going to check and see if you can mix and match ducks and bantams to make the minimum of 6. Totally not. Absolutely not. Nope.

Photobucket

SO CUTE SO CUTE SO CUTE.




Okay so anyways. Foxy.

I did not go to see Foxy today. I was busy with the chicks! But I did call the BO and had an interesting conversation with her.

The BO moved Ms Foxy into the field with the mini donkeys. She said it took her hours to catch Foxy. She eventually had to take every single other horse/mule out of the field and then create a makeshit chute out of the aisleway between fields to trap Foxy so she could catch her.

Sigh.

Stinking Foxy. She did then move her into the other field and then spent about an hour working on "catching" practice with Foxy. She said she was doing well afterwards. She is going to try to go out and mess with her daily from now on to keep her catchable.

So in other words, I am really liking the boarding place this week!

I had to reschedule Foxy's farrier appointment. Looks like it'll be in a few weeks. I'm going go out on Friday to visit (supposed to rain tomorrow...AND I HAVE TO VISIT THE DUCKS) and see how it goes. She may have to start wearing her safety halter for a bit to get reacquainted with BEHAVING.


That is the Ms Foxy update of the day. AND THE CHICK UPDATE. SO CUTE.


OMG SO CUTE. TWO PEAS IN A POD. HOW COULD I RESIST?

Photobucket


OH. Update on the other chicks? The two I posted about before. I think their names may be CROCKPOT. And STEW. They fit in well here. They are ASSHOLES. I'm going to try to bribe them with food in a bit.

4 comments:

Dori said...

I had a 4-H steer named T-bone. He was tasty. Glad Foxy was caught and seems to be behaving for the moment.

JB said...

Ducks are waaaayyyy funner and cuter! I raised one duck from hatching, he was really cute even all grown up. And now I have four more ducks that I got when they were young (although not super cute young) trust me, if you think they are cute now, wait till you actually get one! They have so much personality! My duck used to beg from us to feed him cheese (probably so bad for him!) and chase our cats!

Good luck with your chicks and Foxy!

Anonymous said...

I really don't know how you resisted those ducklings....

Merideth said...

you must have a will of iron i would have cracked when i walked past the ducklings :]