Today makes 3 years to the day that I have had Foxy. Technically I bought her end of January, however she stayed in Washington at $camelot until March. But she arrived down in So Cal on March 26th, 2006.
I was SO NERVOUS. The last email I got from $am of CBER basically gave me all of these warnings. We were only able to touch her left side, face neck and shoulder only....don't corner her, scared horses are dangerous, don't get her in an open area as she will bolt and try to escape, etc etc etc. The hauler said he could not get her out of the trailer (tried over an hour) when he overnighted as his place....I was working with a trainer (taking lessons at least) and they were out of town that weekend. I was all alone! And freaking out! My parents were even out of town (in Vegas!).
I ended up being able to get my Brother in Law to come provide some backup....and my friend who was on duty at the time (Animal Control) got there at the very last minute to help out. Looking back, considering her condition, it was nice to have AC see her condition upon arrival.

The hauler was pulling in! I was so excited!

My very first look at her. My first thought? She was smaller than I expected!

Absolutely refusing to come out. Any pressure made her throw her head up and bolt backwards. Yay.
Eventually we put a butt rope on her and she shot out like a rocket and almost took out all of us in the process.

This is after 2 months of rehab?

Here Foxy have some grain for your trouble.
There was some question as to whether we could even get her to her stall without her bolting since she was not really halter broke. But we made it! she actually led relatively well...probably as she was exhausted from the 3 day trip.

Happy 3 years Ms Foxy Pants! Or rather...Expensive 3 years!
(tomorrow I will have a post relating to comments.....this post needs to stand alone though)

7 comments:
But don't you feel good getting her off that yucky lot? I saw your post a few days back about her not wanting to be caught and such. My mare and Foxy would get along great. When I first got Mia I couldn't catch her to save her life if I didn't have at least a tub of grain and a bit of luck. Now I can just walk up to her about 80% of the time, but it's still so frustrating when she saunters off. I get so pissed I don't even try to chase her most of the time. I'm usually uttering "I should have let you get on the truck" under my breath.
Mia was also a rescue - though I took her straight out of the field, lame as a duck, mild founder and no hooves. I was told she was well broke. I was lied to. At least the mean old man with the other horse trailer didn't get to take her home. Like Foxy, she's a real looker, but has a long way to go in her training.
Anyway, just wanted to send out some encouragement to you - I love your blog and I'm sure that your patience and determination will really pay off.
I just spent an hour and a half just trimming Mia's two front hooves today. The whole time she would stomp her foot on the ground, lean into me, move just enough so I had to reposition all my tools, all the little tricks! Argh! Trimming is her best area, but she was a pill today. I seriously considered posting her on craigslist after that. ;)
Happy Anniversary! Three Years!!!
That would be three extra, quality years for Ms. Foxy Pants. Well done!!!
I Love your blog. It cracks me up, and I think your outlook on life and horse ownership is amazing!! I am familure with the "rescue" you got her from. yikes. Anyway, I got my TB from the auction and we've had some trying moments in our almost year together! I think that Foxy and Denali would be Best Friends!! But, they would also share ideas of how to get into trouble!!
Happy Anniversary Foxy. You are one lucky mare. Not many people would put up with your escapades...
Happy Anniversary to Foxy! And congrats to you for finally getting her! Was that the Linarez trailer? Sharon & Dave brought down Beauty and Gigondas from $BER for me. The haul cost as much as the two horses! But...they are so worth it! They arrived at midnight and I only have 2 dark, blurry photos of their arrival.
She looks so different in the pictures getting off the trailer. It's not just the obvious, too-skinny, tired, angry look on her face. It's funny because she really is a beautiful horse and those original pictures...mmm Yeah. The face of misery isn't so nice to look at. It's obvious you've made these last few years really great for her, which I guess makes her remaining attitudinal issues particularly aggravating. She's a lucky pony!
Happy Anniversary to you and Foxy! I'm sure deep down inside Foxy realizes you saved her life and she owes everything to you. But she's Miss Foxy so she doesn't have to acknowledge it!
Post a Comment