Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Less swelling! Finally!

So last night Foxy's legs were still swollen, but not quite as bad as previously. Her white leg was big and fat but went down after some handwalking, confirming my "stocking up because she is avoiding movement because of injured leg" suspicion.

So anyways that was last night. I left the barn last night with a positive outlook! Even though Foxy jumped over a ditch when I went to put her back in her field. It was literally about a 4 inch little dip in the ground. But it has been wet and it was muddy and she stepped in a muddy spot and I think her hoof sank quite a bit so she LEAPT up out of it. I was like...fricking great, she is going to injure her legs even worse!

Today I met the farrier at the barn and went to pull Foxy out of the [middle of the roundbale] field and just as I go to put her halter on, Rain comes over and bites her in the ass. Argh. Off Foxy goes! Slipping and sliding through the mud (did I mention it rained most of today?) trying to get away. So off I go slipping and sliding through the mud with Rain hot on my heels. So Foxy continues walking away from us, since it isn't just me...it is Rain too. I finally had to go after Rain with the lead rope a few times to get her to at least back off a bit. What a pain she is sometimes. So I get Foxy and bring her out of the field and into the barn for her trim.

And her legs looked much better! The white leg still had a puffy ankle (which it always does to some extent) but not as bad and not as high up the leg. The brown leg still had some hock/ankle/leg swelling but you can actually feel the tendons/ligaments/whatever in the back of the leg a bit now versus before where she just had a big round log for a leg where you can't feel bone or anything other than swelling.

Interesting part is that Foxy was better behaved today than ever before. Even my farrier said she was like a new horse. She was absolutely horrible last time and not so great the time before (both done while she was at my house). Today she stood quietly and never tried to take any of her feet back a single time, or do the crazy drunken sailor thing. She even stood on her bum rear leg just fine while she had her white leg trimmed.

So I am happy about that. Of course then I had to leave and drive home in the horrible fog that rolled in. I had to do about 25 mph where I normally do 55 mph. All I could do was follow the frickin lines in the road. Of course all the spots where the lines disappeared because of intersecting roads were horrible. I had no idea if I was even still pointed in the right direction. Worst fog I have ever driven in! 16 miles later.....fortunately near my house it was not as bad. I tried to take a picture but a camera phone picture from inside my car driving in the fog at night just looks like....not much of anything. Hard to tell.

Photobucket

See how you can't really see the yellow line in the middle of the road very well? even at the closest part of the picture? Yeah. So I followed the white line until it disappeared here and there and then hoped that I was pointed mostly in the right direction.

So tomorrow night is supposed to freeze up. Guess I'll be rocking the 4wd truck again! I'm totally going to boycott this crazy ass weather. Back to So Cal!


In non-horse related news, I have a roommate! I did not mention here, I don't think, that my cousin moved out from California very recently and moved in with me. He has been here almost a week now, ha ha ha. Haven't killed him yet! My house is quite small....but we grew up together (lived within miles of each other and spent vacations together, played together, etc etc) and are only a year apart in age. It should be fun. He is busy settling in and is going to be job hunting now.

Speaking of jobs, layoffs have started at my work. We are construction based and so have been sagging badly.....my good coworker friend who is 5 months pregnant (and not married) got laid off last week....and one of the people I work with closest got laid off yesterday. They are also laying off people at our plants quite a bit. Scary situation. The only good part of this all is that the person that got laid off yesterday did things in my area as well, so my workload is going to increase quite a bit. Always good to be busy rather than NOT in these times.

But who knows.

So I am definitely having to put work ahead of most everything else.....bad weather? I am driving my ass there. Sick? I am driving my ass there. When we had the crazy iced over day last week, it was the morning after the layoffs started....there was no way in hell I was going to call in even when it would have been safest. I had to put that puppy in 4 wheel drive (for the first time ever) and creep down our hilly and winding back road that is flanked by big ditches....

Our department was only 8 people to start with...1 laid off, so then 7. And two called in because of iced over roads. So our department was down to 5 people. I had to do 2 people's work since my "partner" was one of the iced in people. Last year she tried to make it anyways on an icy day and wrecked her car...as did her daughter AND her husband. All on the same hill/ditch near her home. So I could understand why she did not attempt it this year.....

Anyways, blah blah blah. Foxy is doing better but is not 100% just yet. But she seems happy enough. The driving to go see her every single day is a pain but until her leg is back to normal and they get moved into the front field (Feb 1st, I think) I will have to continue doing so. I'm driving about 100 miles a day right now, cruising in the fbird, between work (20ish miles east of my house), visiting Foxy (20ish miles west of my house) and misc errands and things. Thank god gas prices are still relatively low.

Until tomorrow! Maybe I will have pics! Maybe not. Foxy had her blanket pulled by the BO today to let it dry a bit...and I did not hear about any problems so she must have been okay. Once her leg issue clears up, I am going to put Foxy on some BL solution....I don't want to do it now because I want any pain to keep her on the mellow side.....sad but true. Without stall rest or a small area to be in, she needs to feel the pain to keep her quiet. Once she is not in danger of making an injury worse, she can go on BL daily (or every other day if I visit less) and maybe that will help her navicular/arthritis/etc aches and pains. Who knows!

1 comment:

OwnedByAnimals said...

Yay! Less swelling! That is interesting about her being a good girl for the farrier for a change. I wish they could talk to us and TELL us WTF they are thinking sometimes. I know, I know, they do talk you just have to understand their language and all that crap... i dont want any room for misinterpretation see, so i just wish they COULD talk with words. I would even take a texting opportunity. LOL.

That is super scary about work, I am so sorry. That is a good plan and any of those tv career advisers would say to do exactly as you are. Make yourself indispensable! I work in mental health and substance abuse, fortunately and unfortunately we never run out of business.