We stood around eating grass (well, uh, foxy ate grass not me) waiting for the BO to show, Foxy got complimented by the hauler on her sweet personality and quiet hauling...and then the BO arrived and we chatted for a bit and then turned Foxy out into their outdoor arena. It borders the field she will be living in, so she will be staying in the arena for a few days to get used to the other horses. Foxy's tail immediately went straight up and she walked/trotted around snorting. She was doing her super happy prancy full of herself trot. WOW LOOK AT THAT EXTENSION said the BO. I tell ya, Foxy is only lame when I am the only one around. When other people are around she is sound as can be. I even commented to the BO "she doesn't look lame does she?" as she pranced by in full on dressage horse mode....and the lady was in awe of her awesome trot and extension.
I have to admit, I have seen her do a shortened version of it before and I was even impressed today. She had her tail up and neck arched and was just floating around the arena. It was ridiculous!
So Ms Foxy wandered around eating bits of grass, hay that was out there, visiting her new neighbors, etc...I gave her dinner and some carrots and filled out all the paperwork and just left to come back home.
Foxy looked happier within 5 minutes than she has in the last 3 months. So that is that, she will be thrilled with life when she can get into the field with the other horses and have a huge round bale to pick at.
I did not take any pics but here are some I stole from their website.




I was out there for about 2 hours and it is in the 30's, going to be in the mid 20's tonight. I am sick as a damn dog....I'm afraid I am going to end up with pneumonia at the rate I'm going. I have to admit that on the way home I was thinking about how I won't have to check on Foxy all night and deal with her and bring hay up and deal with that and it was such a relief. Then I got home and it was kind of sad as I still have all of the horse stuff allover, my laundry room still has horse feed everywhere, buckets in the sink, horse blanket draped over the dog food container, etc. So kind of sad that I won't see her cute little face every time I go out, but less stress for me here and hopefully she will be happier.
And its cheaper! Can't beat that. I was paying more than $150/month just in feed, not to mention my damn time.....now Foxy has some kickass digs and she is happy as a clam AND I don't have to do the daily upkeep. I just get to feed carrots and brush. Yay!
[eta: also, aside from trotting very very sound, she laid down and rolled and rolled and even rolled all the way over! I have not witnessed that in years. I always heard it was a sign of a horse feeling good if they could roll all the way from one side to the other. maybe all this turnout and new trimming really will help her. she moves more comfortably and maybe her body won't be so out of whack as well]

3 comments:
i am so glad you got her moved and she is happy. it looks like an awesome place. get some rest now!
Janelle, what a beautiful place for the Foxy girl. After all your agonizing and bone-breaking work, this will give you a bit of a deserved rest.
Oh what a roller coaster ride you have been on! I havent checked in for a while and Im glad i missed the colic parts and could read right through to her arriving in her new place!
The place looks awesome, you are going to see a whole new horse i predict. Just let her be a horse for a while and then start with ground work again when the weather is more cooperative.
I am so happy for her and for you. I hope things go smoothly for you both over the next few days and i'll look for updates.
Post a Comment