Thursday, January 8, 2009

Getting ready to move

Foxy is being picked up by a local hauler at 4pm and will be taken to the boarding place. I have new copies of her shot records (or at least a letter from the vet stating what was done and when) and her coggins and I am heading to the bank at lunchtime to get $$ for the hauling lady.....

Keep your fingers crossed this works out! I'm sure Foxy will colic this evening due to the stress of the move.....but maybe she will be so happy to be in the arena next to a herd (of two) that she can visit over the fence, that it won't matter. She will probably stay in the arena for a couple days to "meet them" and then move into their field. Their roundbale is right near that fence, so they seem to hang out there, which will be good for Ms Paranoid Pants.

The hauler has an extra tall 3 horse slant with ramp so we should be able to get her loaded and unloaded okay. Foxy has hauled in a 5-6 horse slant step down, a 3 horse slant step down, and a 2 horse with ramp (twice)....so I think we're covered. I'm expecting she will be a nightmare to load and unload but she rarely refuses to get in, just is incredibly nervous and hard to handle during the process. I'm talking the whole body shaking and shivering, dancing and jumping around, head high, pawing at the trailer and jumping every time she hears a noise or feels a thump. Once upon a time I had an animal communicator talk to her and she said she was in a trailer accident, so that may well be the cause of her extreme hauling nervousness.

Keep your fingers crossed! It is supposed to be below freezing off and on for the next 10 days with 4 days of possible snow showers next week. Should be 25 tonight and 17 one day next week....my property is going to be an icy nightmare, so looks like this came right in time.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Probably a bit late, but for future reference Quietex (I think thats the right spelling) is a feed through sup, and it works really well on keeping horses calm w/o giving them a drugged up haze. We used to have to give it to a welsh pony we had whenever he trailered, since he would instantly become the wild stallion of the cimarron, climbing walls w/o it.

obedience-unleashed said...

Good luck with all of this. I hope you'll be able to relax soon with Foxy away on her 'extended vacation' with her new buddies! :) You'll still post regularly, right? Foxy Pants is an addiction, ha ha.

www.obedience-unleashed.blogspot.com

RuckusButt said...

Yes, please do keep blogging. I'm hooked too! It's amazing (or crazy, or both) what you have done for that horse. Good luck with the new place.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever thought of treating her with ulser meds? We have had a lot of success with nervous nelly's that develop ulsers and get worse. They drop weight and can't put it back on, and lets just say it does not improve their personalities. The drug is called omiprizol and you will know in a week or two if it is working. I have seen it make a huge difference in some animals. The maintaince on it is pretty cheap after you solve the problem as well. It might just make sense.