Monday, January 5, 2009

Crazy Crazy Crazy Pants

Whoowhee, today is not a good day for Ms Foxy Pants. Huge storm rolling in, we are supposed to get 4-5 inches of rain in the next day or two. It has already been raining hard and steady. Foxy has been standing in the front corner of the yard, in her special spot....in a stupor. Refusing to come eat dinner, come for treats, anything. I went out there and haltered her and brought her into the shed to switch blankets (I haltered and grooomed her when I got home to demudify her while it was still dry) to her thicker one, since she was soaked and it was a little chilly.....she was constantly jumping in place, throwing her head around (irritated) and trying to pull back to go to the front of the yard. I made her stand in the shed to switch blankets and was actually barely able to get the last strap clipped as she was so wound up. Dancing in place and surging ahead, jumping when touched or when she hears noises. She actually is dangerous to handle today. Ridiculous.

She has been refusing to eat all her food as well, and has dropped more weight. She is not sick, just too stressed out. Why is she stressed? Who the fuck knows. Seriously, her food is at the front fence by the porch, 20 feet away from where the neighbor's horse is currently standing. It has been her happy place many times, why is it not okay this week? Why is she so psychotic in bad weather? She is from WASHINGTON for godssakes....golly gee it NEVER rains in washington.

So I had already, prior to going outside, emailed the boarding lady to get the specifics on moving her. I am going to make a last ditch effort to dig through my paperwork for the shot records and if that fails (which it will 90% do so I found it! But it is probably not workable as it is just a handwritten note from the boarding people, not the vet) I will call the vet again tomorrow to try for a copy again. Foxy is either going to get moved or put to sleep by the end of the week.....her behavior here is completely unacceptable. It is not mean...it is all fear based but a scared horse can be a dangerous horse.....there is no reason to be so terrified all the time. If this behavior does not improve at the new facility, she will be euthanized.

I am assuming that being out and about in a herd will solve her issues, but then again, there is always the chance she has just had a mental breakdown of sorts and will not calm down. Maybe the only way to get her calm and manageable is to keep her in full care stall board at $300-400/month where she has her routine of being in her safe little stall at night and out with her buddies during the day and is pampered day in and day out. I'm sorry Foxy but I am not planning on spending $300-400 a month on you for the next 20 years. If that is what it takes to keep this horse "happy" and "healthy" then she will be euthanized. This is Foxy's last chance here, she has got to either calm down or...not. I think she has run out of options here.

[edited to add that Foxy is still super super jumpy but has come over to eat a few times. Usually when I go out there and call her over with a bucket in hand and then she at least eats the beet pulp/alfalfa pellets/triplecrown I soak for her. She has eaten a little hay as well, but it is hard to tell as it is so dark and she likes to rearrange it and toss it out of tub into the mud.

Foxy has to leave the property for my own sanity as well as her own. She is driving me craaaaaaaaaaazy with her craziness. I have enough crazy animals without adding her on. I am ready to have a normal "house" again, with an actual yard that is not a huge mud/manure swampy mess. Make her happy, make me happy...kill two birds with one stone.

4 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Whatever choice you make I am sure it will be the right one , you have been a saint for Foxy and although you are in a difficult position right now I can't help but be glad that wherever she goes ,be it over the bridge or on to a barn she has been blessed by your being her person

Cheryl Ann said...

I agree. You have been through a lot with this horse! She was lucky to find you, but enough is enough! I'm just sorry she came to you the way she did by CBER.

TBDancer said...

I had a vet tell me once that some animals are just not happy with people or with their lives or their circumstances and sometimes the best recourse is to cut your losses and move on. It's a hard call to make and a tough one, but it is better for everyone involved, first and foremost, the animal.

We have ALL had to make these choices, so you are among friends here, regardless of which road you choose. Sometimes these animals just get off on the wrong foot and don't take to things very well.

You have to know that there are animals out there that need the kind of care and love and attention you have tried to show Foxy. Maybe getting one that will be more responsive to you -- in a more positive way -- is the right thing to do.

{{ }} in whatever you decide.

Anonymous said...

I really hope the boarding situation will works for the both of you. From your description she sounds scared to death and she is just trying to be as close to that other horse as possible. although so scared she has checked out. Good recipe for getting sick.

After reading your CBER story (although i remember your blog when you first got her as well) I can see how you are completely worn out from the drama. You have done a great job with this horse and it seems that only the most experienced horse person would have been suitable for her. Of course if she were sound and was capable of getting past all the trauma she has had in her life.

It is a sad story so whatever happens with her i am sure you will be a better person for it. When you are able, whenever that is, to get a horse that has had no trauma in it's life, is sound, gentle and suitable for you, you are going to think wow this is so easy! the the other thing you will think is wow this is so much fun!

I don't think she is unhappy with you, referring to what TBDancer said, I think she is scared. My horse would be also being alone like she is and my horse I know has never in her life had anything too bad happen to her. I know since i had her since she was 2. She would be acting in about the same way i would think, because she is just not brave. I do think that my horse would be scared but still eat so Foxy is past normal.