So, in my previous post I talked about the financial expense associated with rescuing a horse via CBER. And I mentioned that she was lame and unridable. But I did not mention all of her physical defects, other than being a chronic colicker and crazy in the head. Well, here we go....
We'll start with the most obvious. The huge area of strange muscling (or lack thereof) on the left side of her neck.

I saw this animal planet show once where this stud colt had been attacked by another stallion and it had bitten and ripped a huge chunk out of its neck. In this exact same spot. It was down all the way to where you could see the vertebrae. Blech. Foxy has no actual scar to suggest an open wound, but just a huge area of missing muscle.
Side view (not my boobs, ha ha ha)

Now, I look at pics of starved horses and see very skinny necks sort of resembling this lack of muscle.....but when the above pic was taken here is another from that same day showing her condition at that point.

Aside from the weird muscling issue on her neck (which is viewable in the next pic as well), she has scar tissue and a dent on her throatlatch. Now Foxy supposedly had the beginning stages of strangles after I bought her, but only the sore throat/cough...no actual pus pockets on her neck area. But she has significant scar tissue on her throat latch, with a dent just behind it. There is also some scar tissue on her poll (which is palpable but not really viewable in photos). Now what would cause that? Was she roped at some point?


Foxy also has a big lump on her chin bone (I Have no idea the correct horse term) on her left side. Feels like a lump on the bone. No idea beyond that. No picutre of that here although I probably have one somewhere. It should not really affect anything (soundness wise) so I did not bother with it.
Now, let's move on to her body/legs. What a disaster.

Foxy has large (old cold) splints on both front legs. She also has scar tissue on both ankles, including a wire/rope scar on one side (not sure which offhand). She also has scarring on the front of her left shin area (viewable in picture). Her left rear ankle is big and fat and hard....vet said it is calcification from...something. We did not xray as at the time she was not having soundness issues. However, that hoof is crooked underneath and that whole hip pops if you push on it....it also rotates when she walks rather than a simple forward backward movement.
Foxy has had some chiro/massage work done and all have said that there are left hip/pelvis issues going on.
The left hip, on the inside of her thigh area has the weirdest spot. It almost reminds me of an area where a blanket strapped rubbed at some point. Or where a rope rubbed. Or a strap. Or something. It always looks funny, it sweats funny, it feels funny. No idea what happened there. And as she was not even halter broke when I got her, I gurarantee she had never worn a blanket before, taking out the blanket strap idea. Who knows. I do not have a pic of this area as she is very ANTI anything down there. Don't stick your hand there, your head, your nothing....she did not make a good weanling babysitter as they try to nurse and she does not appreciate that at all. To say the least. Ha ha ha.
The front left shoulder has the scarring circled in the pic as well. Now is this a simple (yet large) scar? Or a brand? Or a brand that is scarred over? It is hard to stay. Interestingly enough, it had different hair that first year I owned her. It was white the first few months of her summer coat. Then I shaved it to see what would happen and it never grew back, I don't believe. Does that mean it may have been a recent "injury" at that time? I don't know.
here is a picture from a couple months after I got her.

You can see the neck issue, the splints, some of the scarring on her legs, plus the scar/whatever on her shoulder (with white hair).
So that is that. Ms Foxy also was diagnosed as Navicular after being lame on both fronts.....it is much worse on her left front leg than right. This is the same leg with the scarring on the shin, the shoulder and the neck muscle issue, as well as the same side with the fat rear ankle, hip issue and the weird scarring on inside of thigh area. So is the lameness on that front related to all of that?
Who knows. That is the summation of all things Foxy. Who knows! She is a mystery.
But now, after going through all of that, doesn't she sound like a safe, sane, ridable horse for a beginner that should cost thousands of dollars?
Apparently CBER thought so.......

7 comments:
With all the damage on that one side it makes me wonder if she might have been hit by a car or something.
I'll bet she was used for horse tripping. Unfortunately..
Homie Jeebus! That poor horse. My own horse is scarred up terribly too...but we know what happened to her (before we got her). From being tangled in barbed wire (right hind below the hock and right front above the knee and on her chest) and then left on the range to heal with no vet care or doctoring leaving her with strips of missing fur on leg and chest...to rearing up and coming down on an uncapped t-post which drove the post at least six inches into her hindquarter leaving her with a huge X shaped scar. I can't even begin to imagine what that poor Foxy endured. :(
Hi Janelle, I've been secretly following your blog for weeks and weeks. Glad you went public with your experience with CBER. Always loved your writing. Recently I was given the Butterfly Award and I'd like to pass it along to you. Visit my blog to pick it up (copy picture) and get the directions for passing it on to some of your favorite blogs.
-Cherie
I think more of us should go public with our CBER stories. I just wanted to get my horses out of WA safely. I worried about them day and night. Gigondas was a complete head case when we got her, not a "just needs some messing with" (as they described her) horse!
Okay. I went through my old emails and bills and added up what my 2 girls cost me: $2935. That's $1497 EACH. While I dearly love them, think of how much $2935 would go toward saving other horses, like Joe's at TB Friends. I certainly don't regret having my two mares, but I think, looking back, that I've learned from the CBER experience and I would NOT want to repeat it! Older and wiser, I guess.
has anyone ever reported CBER to the BBB (better business bureau)? Because they can and will do something about it. So many complaints were put in about the only "rescue" around for 4 hours for horses around this area and they were shut down within a month.
Post a Comment