Thursday, November 6, 2008

Another day, another dollar

Ms Foxy is doing fine....she lost some weight over the last month, mostly in the last week or so. The last batch of hay was pretty coarse and crappy. On the one hand, I can give her more hay which she looooooves, without her getting fat....on the other hand, it costs the same and isnt even keeping her weight up. She is still a decent weight, just something to take into account until I am done with this batch. I have been giving her a small amount of sweet feed (like less than a pound a day) just to have something to give her. When this bag of feed is gone, I will buy Ultium, I always liked that one and she did as well. I have also added some soaked alfalfa pellets and a bit of soaked beet pulp. Not a huge amount, maybe a pound of alfalfa pellets a day and just tonight started the beet pulp (maybe 1/4 pound dry weight, almost nothing). If nothing else it gives her something delicious and warm for breakfast and dinner. And makes it easy to add her vitamins.

I have done almost nothing with Ms Foxy. I just clean up the manure a few times a week (every day if I have time, but work has been crazy lately) and make sure she has clean water.....and feed three times a day. I've started giving her mush before and after work, along with about 2 flakes each time. I also give her a midnight snack of a flake or two before bed. The bales are around 40-45lbs, and she goes through about a half bale a day (maybe slightly less) so she is getting about 20lbs of hay a day, plus a pound or two total of pellets/grain/etc. And a few carrots here and there......treat wise she has actually gotten less lately as I have just been giving her hay instead.

Hey Lady, where's my McDonald's hot apple pie?

Photobucket

She is very quiet here. Even my old lady neighbor mentioned that she is very quiet and just hangs out in the yard. She has an apple tree and I gave her permission to give her a few small apples every day. Because of the electric fence, she comes over and tosses them through between the strands and Foxy just eats them off the ground. She says that sometimes Foxy will even nicker to her when she sees her coming.....I know that is true as I was napping on the couch one weekend and got startled out of my nap by Foxy nickering....I jumped up thinking somebody was trying to steal her or something. Paranoia!

Speaking of stealing......a friend was over tonight and wanted to call Foxy over for a picture. So she went out to the porch and leaned over the railing and called and called her. Foxy was at the other end of the fenceline and turned to look but would not come closer. I'm sure she was saying "You're not my mother!!!! Stranger danger, stranger danger!". Hopefully she would not cooperate with anyone trying to steal her......not that anyone would want her, but let's just say theoretically...

1 comment:

Nina said...

Love the name FoxyPants. I use Ultium too. I feed my guy that and Amplify, which is Purina's rice bran/fat supplement. I've had great results and everyone always tells me how *shiny* my horse is!