Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Rodeo time!

Today I had another bit of rodeo with Ms Foxy. I went to pull her out of the field, got her into the arena (which is between the field and the barn) and this huge horse fly comes buzzing around her. She is biting at it and swishing and trying to get away from it (all while attached to ME as I had her halter/lead on) and then it finally lands on her back, just in front of her hip. Holy moly, it was rodeo time! She was jumping and bucking and kicking out with her rear legs. Up and out and sideways and jumping around and I was trying to avoid getting ran over......eventually I got her to stop and tried to swat it off with the lead rope. Problem was where it was......I don't want to get very close to her rear end while she is bucking and kicking....but that is where the fly was! She must have known I was trying to help as she finally stopped and let me take a few swings at it with the popper at the end of the lead rope. First try I missed (and soundly popped her in the back instead, whoops), second try I whacked the little bastard and he fell straight off...not sure if I just stunned him or actually injured/killed him, but whatever! So long as he is off Ms Foxy!

That was a good time. OR NOT.

I brought her in and gave her a good rinse...and found a big woound on her right side of her ribs. About the size of a finger, both width and length wise.....not bleeding, but missing hair and all swollen and hot. I hosed it off and then dried it, covered in ointment and then fly sprayed it. Poor Ms Foxy. Looks like she scraped herself on something, who knows what.

Just another day with the most accident prone horse EVER.

She also looked thin again today, but she looked porky last time....so I gave her some electrolytes and carrots and will check on her tomorrow. She was in good spirits and had normal manure while I was there, full bucket of water available, etc. It has been SO HUMID lately that maybe she has been sweating a lot. Or did not drink while out in the field for whatever reason.

Either way, I have been working my rear end off (I wish) trying to get ready for her to move here. We have her "stall" ready in the shed, all the posts are in and insulators are on. Tomorrow I will string up the tape and get all the splices and things going. Need to get the grounding rods in and then hook it all together. Then we need to install a door and fill the area around it with a wall in the shed, to divided her half from the other half.....fill in a few holes and wha la! Oh yeah, and buy hay :)

Originally I wanted to get her moved by Saturday. Unfortunately, I may or may not be ready......and either way, my sister and brother in law are going to California for a WEEK next weekend (in 10 days) and I will be all alone should anything go wrong. So I am going to see if my boarding place will let me go week to week and then will wait and move her in two weeks. We'll see!

I am still going to aim on getting everything done this week......I would love to get a trailer and start bringing her over here on the weekends. It would be a nice transition for us both and would give me an idea of things I may need to change to prepare for her being here permanently.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy reading about you and your horse. She sounds like a gem.