Friday, November 27, 2009

A pretty good update

I am still alive! Yay!


I am too tired to make a huge post but will give some pretty decent updates.




Remember that newborn kitten I found? Or rather, I found two but one died that night.....then the momma cat came and took it back, blah blah blah? I thought the kittens had all gotten killed, but apparently only 2 of the 4 did. The first one I found that died on its own and another one that I have no idea what happened. The little black one is still alive and doing well.



Photobucket


See its little black ears to the left of the saddle? And its sister is to the right of the saddle. So cute!




And then we have the broken leg chicken. She is hobbling around pretty well. Definitely not back to normal, but well enough. She is back out with the main population, for lack of anywhere else to put her. I really think she needs to be out and about where she can run around and build her strength back up. She did start hiding under the chicken coop, which is okay during the daytime. Except one night I could NOT for the life of me get her out to lock up. I had to actually leave her out ALL NIGHT. I was totally expecting to find bits and pieces of chicken strewn around the yard the next morning. Alas, she as alive and standing out in front of the chicken coop the next morning. Whoo!

And ever since then, she has faithfully hopped up into the coop and sat herself in a nesting box for bed every night. I realized (belatedly, poor thing) that she could not reach the feeder out there, since she is kind of hunched over now, so I give her a big bowl of the chick food every night. Now when I got in the coop or nearby, she runs over and stands next to my feet or follows me around. So cute!



Photobucket



That is a picture of her eating out of the bucket I was getting ready to pour into the baby chicken pen feeder. See those white and black chickens in the pen behind her? Those are the ones I hatched out. Stew and the white chickens lovechildren from the giant rooster.

I did move the big red rooster into the big pen, still by himself, and the girl babies plus the brahmas into the small pen. Those girls are really digging it.

Photobucket


Photobucket


Of course, as things go, I can't manage to keep my house chicken free for more than a day or two, so next thing I know....one of the young chickens got picked bloody by the other girls. It's whole rear end was bare of feathers and bloody and disgusting. So now she is in the extra bedroom. It is the white chicken pictured below, in front of the big red, really handsome, rooster.


Photobucket



In other chicken news, the disco chickens have started laying eggs, and they are these really neat speckled brown/tan eggs. Here is a picture of a Jersey Giant egg (brown), Rhode Island Red egg (tan) and Cochin egg (speckled).



Photobucket



Photobucket



NEAT.





Also, the Giant Rooster is still creepin' around the yard threatening to kill everything.



Photobucket



Except me, of course. He cracks me up.


Don't mess around with the Giant Rooster. He will fuck you up.



Photobucket



In actual Foxy related news, she is doing fine. She is now in a field with two of the Paso Fino mares, the one with the craaaaaaaaaazy hair and the other gray one with the normal hair. They all seem to get along great, and I love that Ms Foxy has company again.



Even if it means she is diiiirty.



Photobucket



Whiskers the dog is still there too.




Photobucket




In totally random news, I made a cheesecake the other day, from scratch, for the first time ever.



Photobucket



I'm not gonna lie, it was totally awesome.



You know what else is awesome? NACHOS




Photobucket



In closing, Bella says.....




Photobucket
Word.

8 comments:

Brooke (FBX Adventures - In Parenting) said...

Glad to see you're alive and well!!

www.wildponybeast.blogspot.com

Dori said...

Glad to hear all is well in poultryland!

Monica said...

Do you have any of the chickens that lay Easter Eggs? Aracounas, or something like that. Glad you are doing well. Hope you have recovered from your illness and can enjoy the holidays.

Amber McCarthy said...

I thought u died! haha! Glad that your back cuz I've missed my daily Foxy! :)

Michelle said...

Glad to see you back! Cheesecake and chickens all look great...must say I was disappointed to not see a photo of the craaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzy haired Paso, though.

Monica said...

I'm missing the frequent updates, but I hope everything is going well for you. Happy Holidays!

Anonymous said...

Hope You, Foxy and the whole gang have a safe, happy and healthy Holiday and New Year. Wishing you the best!

Monica said...

Hope you are doing good! Have a Merry Christmas!