However, today at the barn when I had Ms Foxy in the wash rack, I kept hearing something. It almost sounded like....an animal?
It was hard to say. So eventually I abandoned Foxy in the wash rack and started hunting it down. It sounded like it was coming from the tack room so I went in there and found a newborn fricking kitten in the corner! Wedged behind this folded up table thing. Like it had been born nearby and abandoned, and been crawling around and gotten itself stuck. So I rescued it and carried it around for a while trying to figure out what the hell to do with it.
I called the BO but got her voicemail. The kitten was solid black and dry but dusty and dirty and still had its umbilical cord attached. Poor thing. It kept trying to nurse on my shirt :(
I ended up finding a sweatshirt in my car and a feed tub and stuck it in there while I waited for the BO to call me back and finished messing with Foxy.
Eventually I decided that it really had sounded like more than one animal to start with...so I went back in the tack room and started hunting around. And found another! Wedged behind a sign leaning against the wall.

Omg babies! So fricking cute. But also so fricking young. The black and white was not as strong as the other, but they were both alive and vocal and crawling around a bit.
I ended up moving a few things around in the tack room looking for more and trying to figure out where they came from. All the while poor Ms Foxy is just standing in the wash rack. Not tied, just with the lead rope thrown out the window as I like to do.
I ended up tying her in the aisleway instead so I could mess with the kitties without worrying (ha).

Foxy does not tie consistently well. She actually ties well until something goes wrong and then she explosively pulls back. Crazy horse. She has broken some cross ties in her time and one time almost killed me when I had the lead rope looped a few times around a pipe rail fence (in her stall in california) and she pulled back so violently that as the lead rope pulled back the end flew through the air and hit the grooming box of brushes hanging off the fence and flung it off the fence and about 10 feet away. And I had been standing between Foxy and the other fence and attempted to throw myself out of the way of flying horse and flying lead rope and flying grooming supplies. And smashed right into the fence.
I am a genius.
Anyways, Ms Foxy ties just fine until there is a reason to pull back and then she does just that. Whatever. I don't ever tie her if I am within about 10 feet, I can just throw the lead rope over her back or drop it to the ground and she won't go anywhere. But after her wild escape last week, I don't trust her to 100% again yet so would totally prefer to tie her if I am going to be out of sight or more than about 20 feet away for any length of time.
Foxy is offended about this whole tying thing.

This is bullshit!
Of course, she stood there perfectly the entire time today. This may have something to do with the fact that I had to get all ghetto on her earlier in the day when she would not stand still. Ghetto. Seriously. Or rather, I finally slapped her on the rump and yelled at her, and then made her back the hell out of the way, step sideways to get back where she was supposed to be and then threatened her life if she moved again.
Or something like that. Foxy needs a reminder how to behave every now and then.
ANYWAYS, point to this is that I was able to get the two kitties all bundled up in an old sweatshirt in the feed tub and just as I was finally going to give up and just take them home with me, the BO showed up! She had heard them the day before but could never find them. She looked in the hay loft and outside in the bushes and grass and in the stalls, but nada! She did not think to check the tack rooms since it is a solid room, four walls, no windows, no gaps big enough for a newborn kitten let alone a pregnant cat. My theory is that momma cat snuck in when the door was open, had the kitties in there and then snuck back out when the door was opened...and got locked out!
We left the kitties in the feed room in the hopes that the momma cat will find them when she comes to eat and will take care of them. Who knows. All I know is that I was panicking trying to figure out how the hell I could take care of two newborn kittens! I used to foster kittens but only took them 5 weeks and older since I don't have the time or desire to bottle-feed. But I was totally planning on running to Walmart and getting kitty stuff....do they even still carry bottles and formula at Wally World? I know they used to, years ago.
So basically tomorrow I am going to go pick up some bottles and formula JUST IN CASE. I actually used to keep some on hand at all times, but haven't since I stopped working at the shelter.
In other news, today was a REAL 5 egg day!

I did still manage to break an egg but it was AFTER the picture was taken. I guess I need to start using an egg basket!

9 comments:
Been reading your blog for awhile now and love it. You mentioned you've been fighting scratches on Foxy for awhile. Half my herd turned up with scratches this year. I went online and found a home remedy that may help Ms FoxyPants. It's a 1:1:1 ratio of hydrocortizone, triple antibiotic, and desitin. Just mix up enough and apply. I didn't always have time to soak their legs so I applied the goo without washing/soaking. The scratches are gone and he's not tender. Anywho, just thought I'd post a scratches remedy for you in case you wanted to give it a shot.
If the mother cat had two kittens then left it's not likely that she and the kittens bonded so she will likely abandon them. A lot of kittens die this way when people intervene within the first few hours of birth. I had found two kittens a couple years ago that were born in the hayloft and fell between two boards. The mother cat didn't want anything to do with them since they had been down there for a wile and she had other kittens she had bonded with.
Shanna,
Thanks for the info, I just happen to have picked up all three of those things last week.......I once upon a time made a concoction of antibiotic and desitin that did not help her (last time she had scratches). But that time the spray from the vet DID help her and this time it is doing nothing, so I may give it a try again.
Sydney,
I don't know whether it will work or not, but the BO seemed to think so and apparently this isn't the first time kittens have been accidently abandoned there. I will admit that I am totally going to go buy milk replacer after work on my way there, just in case I have to steal them to bottle feed. Although at this point, I can't imagine they would still be alive if the mom cat did not come get them and the if the lady has not been feeding them. Who knows.....
I found one other possible remedy but it wasn't as nice. DMSO, Nitrofurizon (sp?), and wormer (fenbendazole). I tried it once on the entire herd that had scratches but it wasn't as easy to work with for some reason. Could be because I didn't soak anyone's legs (but decided I didn't want to get my head kicked off.)
I'm sure you posted the type of spray your vet told you to get but I'm too lazy to search. :-) What did they tell you to get? I'm curious to know in case the home remedy I have doesn't work for all the horses.
http://borderlandrescue.blogspot.com/
I just wanted to say I love your site. I always get a giggle out of it and I love your stories about Foxy. Good luck with the kittens....I'm having a premonition that you might be adding to the family soon!
Hope the kittens are OK when you get back there. I'm thinking your other cat will not be a fan!
I've had very good results with a similar mixture to Shanna's, except with the addition of DMSO for additional skin penetration.
Apply it wearing gloves though - v.important!
So, are you raising kittens? I am beginning to think that may be the reason for no update. Maybe kittens are keeping you up all night, no energy to type?
No kittens! They were "gone" when I went back the next day, no idea if the momma kitty got them, the lady took them to bottle feed, they died, etc. No idea! I will ask next time i bump into the lady.
I am seriously crazy busy this week and going out of town this weekend. I am going to attempt a post tonight, if not, will post on Monday. It may (in all probability) be a post just like after my alabama trip. Prepare yourselves, ha ha ha.
Post a Comment